all posts post new thread

Berberine, A Supplement With Some Teeth

If you question the nutrition derived from vegetable sources because of soil, then I hope you give the same scrutiny to your "animal products"...
Whats kinda funny is you can learn a lot about soil and animal feed from watching the highly entertaining series "Clarkson's Farm". Its a great intro for people who only have theoretical experience with farming and the various practices. Mainly because Clarkson has zero farming experience and bumbles his way through learning things too.

How do you 'ensure' that?
If you question the nutrition derived from vegetable sources because of soil, then I hope you give the same scrutiny to your "animal products"... Phytonutrients would be one of many things that I would point to with eating/never eating veggies (and a varied diet). We already mentioned fiber (here?), micros, gut health.... Yeah, you could live on Subway 6" club sandwiches for the rest of your life and take a vitamin/mineral supp and call it good, but I'm guessing there are going to be some bases uncovered. Would that affect your health/longevity? Maybe. Maybe not.
For one thing, it is a lot easier for me to reliably find methylated b vitamins in eggs and beef liver than it is in any vegetable I can source. And I need that.

Now that we have chickens, that lay eggs every day, I usually have eggs with sriracha or just another dish of beef that I'd prepped.

View attachment 25384

I spent a while deviling my eggs, but it's much easier for me to just dab some hot sauce on them.

View attachment 25385

I did once get to have a nice brisket I made myself.
I usually have to wait till I'm at home on the weekend to have enough time to sous vide a nice cut of meat.

View attachment 25386

Sometimes the wife will treat me with a caprese which is mostly cheese, and it's decorated with a few cherry tomatoes and basil.
A box without hinges, key, or lid, yet golden treasure inside is hid.

----------- J. R. R. Tolkien, The Hobbit.

From chapter 11, Change Your Diet, Change Your Mind, Georgia Ede, MD.

Last edited:
The juggling act is in being able to manipulate Insulin to increase muscle mass and minimizing increased body fat.
Interestingly in mice the opposite seems to occur.

Feeding mice a high fat diet causes the worst outcome compared to low fat, western, and "chow". So lowering blood glucose via diet seemed to not work as hypothesized here. (granted this isn't drug induced like berberine)

SBS has an interesting series of articles on this P Value concept. Basically how does your body determine whether to add muscle mass or fat mass. It seems insulin levels don't really factor into it that much based on the data we do have... But that data is a lot of rodent studies.

It's been 4 hours since my first dose berberine.

Took it on an almost empty stomach. The milk in a cafe latte being the only calories prior to lunch.

Haven't noticed....anything.

No side effects, no energy level change....

*shrug*
Are you checking your blood glucose every hour to monitor changes/ poor mans CGM?

Interestingly in mice the opposite seems to occur.

Feeding mice a high fat diet causes the worst outcome compared to low fat, western, and "chow". So lowering blood glucose via diet seemed to not work as hypothesized here. (granted this isn't drug induced like berberine)

SBS has an interesting series of articles on this P Value concept. Basically how does your body determine whether to add muscle mass or fat mass. It seems insulin levels don't really factor into it that much based on the data we do have... But that data is a lot of rodent studies.

My money is on torpor or similar processes that are basically phenotypically triggered, ie you have to do something to stimulate varying gene expression with your environment.

Info on torpor

Also, a combination of factors is going to be the only way we'll be able to see this, I think.

CICO dietary model works if you want to keep your sanity, but that is nested within the hormonal model already which I believe must be within the greater phenotypical model that cascades the expression of genes influencing those prior two.

Something like berberine is up/down regulating different enzyme/metabolic processes jamming its spanner in the works.

Based on what examine.com said I'm guessing adding glycolytic activity may be complimentary for effective outcomes in terms of weight loss.

It's been 4 hours since my first dose berberine.

Took it on an almost empty stomach. The milk in a cafe latte being the only calories prior to lunch.

Haven't noticed....anything.

No side effects, no energy level change....

*shrug*
What kind did you get? Apparently it has poor bioavailability in general, curious if there's some patented .. extract formulation that makes it kick

Last year in response to some autoimmune health issues my doctor recommended I try the carnivore diet. When I expressed surprise that a doctor would recommend no vegetables he just scoffed and said, “it won’t kill you”. When doctors start recommending what used to be on the fringe you know the benefits are becoming recognised and the scare factors are diminishing. BTW I didn’t follow his advice

Back
Top Bottom