all posts post new thread

S&S Form Check

jgalb99

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello everyone,

I recently renewed my goal of achieving Timeless Simple by the end of this year, and I would like a quick form check on my swings and get-ups (both using a 24kg bell). Furthermore, my dead-stop swings look and feel different than my swing set of 5's, and my upright plank feels weak in both. I welcome any feedback, tips, and drills to correct whatever is lacking in my form!

Dead Stop Swings -

Swing Set of 5 -

TGU -

Looks like a good start to me. That 24kg might be a bit too light for your two hand swings though. You swing it as high as your eye level and that might make it harder to find a good timing.

I think @Mark Limbaga nailed it with the folding too far forward. Add some active resistance as you come into the hinge. Let the arms and hamstrings stretch and store tension. If you're too passive and let the kettlebell pull you all the way down, there is less stored tension to come back up with. In your dead stop swings, your hinge position looks good.

The other thing I noticed is your lats seem to be somewhat relaxed. Anti-shrug the shoulders -- that tightens the lats, connecting your arms more effectively to your torso.

Get-ups look good. All in all good work, keep it up! And good job asking for a form check! It's always good for a learning experience for yourself as well as others.

Thank y’all for the great feedback! A few follow up questions:

1. Should I increase the weight on my 2H swings or hold off until my hinge looks better?
2. Is there a drill to fix my drinking bird hinge?
3. How do I add active resistance? Are there any articles or videos to demonstrate what this looks like?
4. Do I need to maintain the anti-shrug throughout the full movement?

Thank you guys again! I really appreciate this community.

1. Should I increase the weight on my 2H swings or hold off until my hinge looks better?
3. How do I add active resistance? Are there any articles or videos to demonstrate what this looks like?

Look to the drills that are located in the book. Pay attention to the deadlift and practice that. At the bottom of the swing, you want your shoulders to be higher than your hips just like in a deadlift. Anti shrug the entire time. The only time you get to relax is after you project the kettlebell up and when it is falling.

I think you can increase the weight.

Drill to fix is kettlebell deadlift, or pattern the swing before you do it, and intentionally keep the torso closer to vertical in the hinge position.

Adding resistance is the same thing you do on any eccentric movement where you have muscle contraction as opposed to "dropping" the weight. Think biceps curl with a dumbbell and what you do as you lower the weight.

Yes, maintain the anti-shrug throughout the full movement.

A long read, and lots more details than you need so don't let it confuse you, but this is an old thread where I got some good input from @Steve Freides and @Steve W. and others, and added some resistance to the forward leaning torso with a good effect. Maybe it will provide some helpful input for you as well: Kettlebell - The swing

1. Let's review your deadlift and apply the athletic hinge

2. Addressed by number 1

3. eventually an overspeed eccentric or accelerating the bell is resistance

4. Yes

Question: have you considered scheduling a consultation with an instructor either in person or virtual?? That usually speeds up the learning process

Thank you all for the form help. Here are a few videos since:

Deadlift + 2H @ 32kg

1H @ 24kg

TGU @ 24kg

I am currently working on my KB deadlift form, one challenge for me is to engage my lats since KB lies in between feet and hence very close to my body. So I give a moment to myself before the lift to remember crushing the handles. Deadlifting infront of a bench helped me as well to get the “feeling” since it forces you to kind of push the bell towards your body.

As Anna mentions sometimes there are lots of inputs which can be overwhelming.

My untrained eyes can’t see if you have the same challenge with me in engaging lats. So please take this as a beginner sharing his challenge and solution that seems to work.

Almost all my swing form issues were/is coming from my deadlift form except my timing for the hinge. Every single time I know I dive earlier than I should and indeed I could wait longer. I did not find magic drill that will help me with that. Currently I work on fundamentals (KB deadlift) drills. 2 hand, single hand, and single leg. I hope that a drill like dead stop swing will help me with timing when I have decent deadlift and move on.

Swings look great, @jgalb99 ! Really nice improvement since the original post.

Hey guys!

I have made much progress on my S&S journey since I first posted! I am uploading a video of my prying goblet squat for a more trained eye to see if my back is remaining neutral or if my butt is winking at all.

Back
Top Bottom