all posts post new thread

Barbell Curl Big Weights for Reps

@Boris Bachmann @John K

So what are the progression rules?

Do I have to just add reps/vol at 40 kg until I'm ready to make the leap to 60 kg?

Or am I allowed to use change plates along the way?
I mean it seemed that the decision was 45lbs/20kg increments. So build rep ability with 90lbs/40kg while also building strength to get a rep at 135lbs/60kg.

I mean it seemed that the decision was 45lbs/20kg increments. So build rep ability with 90lbs/40kg while also building strength to get a rep at 135lbs/60kg.

Right, so just clarifying that the 'building strength' part is off the records.

i.e. you can do progressive loading on the way from 40 kg to 60 kg, but it doesn't count for anything.

I managed 7 reps with 105lbs on curls yesterday (after deadlifts, OH Press, and pullups, lol). Could probably get 8 if I was fresh and did them at the beginning of the session. I don't do curls often (maybe once every week or two for a few sets as I generally get all the biceps work I need from just loading plates on bars and pullups/chinups), but maybe I could hit 135lbs for a single sometime in the not too distant future if I actually practice them more.

I've got one of these cheese balls:

51JDBdBIV3L.jpg

images

It's only 15 kg, though, so I have to add another 5 kg to bring it up to par.

And, no, I wasn't using that 'Convict' bar.

I was using a $720 all-stainless, IWF-certified Rogue Pyrros bar.....

...for curling in the squat stand.
A rackable curl bar is on my short list. Along with a rackable fat curl bar.

Interesting this has shoulder flexion.

And takes the bar to the neck,

Whereas I wasn’t using shoulder flexion and was stopping just above parallel

Maybe it’s the technicality that allows curls to join the multi-joint exercise club.

A strict and heavy curl, shoulder flexion or not, requires a high degree of total body tension which, in my book, turns it into a full body-ish lift.

Anyway, curls are awesome (Nordic ones too, for the lower body).

Maybe it’s the technicality that allows curls to join the multi-joint exercise club.

A strict and heavy curl, shoulder flexion or not, requires a high degree of total body tension which, in my book, turns it into a full body-ish lift.

Anyway, curls are awesome (Nordic ones too, for the lower body).
I mean, both head of the bicep originate on the scapula, cross the shoulder joint and elbow joint, and insert on the radius. So it is a multi joint movement.

Sadly the brachialis originates on the humerus and inserts on the ulna. So hammer curls are single joint isolation exercises.

Right, so just clarifying that the 'building strength' part is off the records.

i.e. you can do progressive loading on the way from 40 kg to 60 kg, but it doesn't count for anything.
You can "submit" any numbers you want, but reps submitted that are in between the increments are counted at the lower weight (for example, if someone submits 50kg x 5, then it's added to the spreadsheet in the 40kg category).

That's what I'm doing in the squat thread at least.

Since this is the curls thread, I am curious: do you think curls serve a purpose beyond getting noticed?

To be fair, getting noticed is a good thing - particularly when I'm not allowed to lift the guy curling in the squat rack over my head as a method of getting noticed. ;)

In weightlifting, they're prescribed as prehab for elbow health and to help prevent elbow dislocation.

OuchAP_2160928a.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Since this is the curls thread, I am curious: do you think curls serve a purpose beyond getting noticed?
Online conversations I've had here sometimes overlap with other places but recently I was having a conversation with a group largely populated w. people who lift stones on the regular and the need for strong arms came up again.

NOW BEFORE ANYONE FLIPS OUT, no, you absolutely should NOT be trying to curl a heavy sandbag or stone - you're going to tear something right quick if you do. BUT, strong arms (and bis) are never a detriment (unless maybe your arms being big becomes a mobility concern).

When I take a lot of time off from KB snatches, I find one of the things that gets sore when I resume them are the biceps. Why? Well, I'm guessing part of it is because I do so little direct bicep work.

Back
Top Bottom