all posts post new thread

Barbell Curl Big Weights for Reps

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
Grrrr.

I don't curl a lot, never have in my life, having spent much more time on big compounds. But enough for elbow health and injury prehab, which is mostly mid-high reps using DBs, pulleys, EZ curl bar, etc.

So I figured I should have at least some non-pathetic number when it comes to strict barbell curls (even tho I rarely do that type of curl). In the squat stand, of course.

But nope.

My barbell strict barbell curl (no swaying, no shoulder movement) 1RM is a pathetic 36 kg / 79.2 lbs.

So 36% of bodyweight.

Barely above "Novice" according to Strength Level - Weightlifting Calculator (Bench/Squat/Deadlift)

Strength Level boundaries​

These are our strength standards in kg for lifters at your bodyweight:

BWBeg.Nov.Int.Adv.Elite

Given my general training age and where I stand in my other lifts, I should at least be closer to Intermediate / 48 kg, which would be close to a half bodyweight curl.

So what's good programming for max curl?

Standard 5x5?

It's outside the realm of PL and WL, but surely strongman works on this?

EDIT:

Using the USAWA technique Steve described below, currently at 42 kg / 92.4 lbs with some a few reps in reserve

Last edited:
Not an answer to your question but if you go to

https://usawa.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/RULEBOOK-11th-Edition.pdf

and search for "curl" and you'll find this. If memory serves, the pieces of paper you see in the picture at the back of the head and the butt are how that part of the rules is officiated.

D10. Curl – Strict This lift begins with the lifter in an upright standing position with the bar resting on the thighs at arm’s length in front of the lifter. The lifter’s legs must be straight during the entire lift. Feet placement and hand spacing is optional. The grip on the bar must be with the palms of the hands facing away from the lifter. The lifter’s back must be against a wall, with heels being no more than three inches from the base of the wall. The lifter’s head and buttocks must remain in contact with the wall throughout the lift.

Once in this position, an official will give a command to curl. The bar must be curled from arm’s length to touching the upper chest or neck in one motion. Any downward movement of the bar during the curl is a disqualification. The legs must remain straight or it will be a disqualification. If the head or buttocks don’t remain in contact with the wall or feet movement occurs, it is a disqualification.

The lift ends on command by an official.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-06-19 at 12.42.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-06-19 at 12.42.22 PM.png
    439.6 KB · Views: 16
Grrrr.

I don't curl a lot, never have in my life, having spent much more time on big compounds. But enough for elbow health and injury prehab, which is mostly mid-high reps using DBs, pulleys, EZ curl bar, etc.

So I figured I should have at least some non-pathetic number when it comes to strict barbell curls (even tho I rarely do that type of curl). In the squat stand, of course.

But nope.

My barbell strict barbell curl (no swaying, no shoulder movement) 1RM is a pathetic 36 kg / 79.2 lbs.

So 36% of bodyweight.

Barely above "Novice" according to Strength Level - Weightlifting Calculator (Bench/Squat/Deadlift)

BWBeg.Nov.Int.Adv.Elite

Given my general training age and where I stand in my other lifts, I should at least be closer to Intermediate / 48 kg, which would be close to a half bodyweight curl.

Standard 5x5?

10 sets of 1, 3 -5 days a week.

Interesting this has shoulder flexion.

And takes the bar to the neck,

Whereas I wasn’t using shoulder flexion and was stopping just above parallel
Perhaps your method is more suited to your goals. If you look at the USAWA rulebook, there are several different kinds of curls, including a "cheat" version.

-S-

Perhaps your method is more suited to your goals. If you look at the USAWA rulebook, there are several different kinds of curls, including a "cheat" version.

-S-

It raises an interesting question about what people are doing when they self-report BB curls

Grrrr.

But nope.

So 36% of bodyweight.

BWBeg.Nov.Int.Adv.Elite

Standard 5x5?

Curious.

Reviewing my log, I did 3x12 @ 65lbs on 5/26 and on 5/31 I did 75lbs 12-12-8 and on 6/6 I did 75lbs 12-12-9. Looks like I may have forgotten to do my curls the past two weeks... tomorrow seems like a good day to fix it. For me, I just cap sets at 12, and end a set when I don't think I'll get another good rep.

If I get 3 sets of 12 I up weight; if I can't do at least 8 reps on the first set, it was too heavy. But I'm not a curl expert, that was just how I was playing with it for a while.

I keep the elbows pinned to the side, but I expect there is slight shoulder flexion because ... I don't care.

Curious.

Reviewing my log, I did 3x12 @ 65lbs on 5/26 and on 5/31 I did 75lbs 12-12-8 and on 6/6 I did 75lbs 12-12-9. Looks like I may have forgotten to do my curls the past two weeks... tomorrow seems like a good day to fix it. For me, I just cap sets at 12, and end a set when I don't think I'll get another good rep.

If I get 3 sets of 12 I up weight; if I can't do at least 8 reps on the first set, it was too heavy. But I'm not a curl expert, that was just how I was playing with it for a while.

I keep the elbows pinned to the side, but I expect there is slight shoulder flexion because ... I don't care.

Starting to realize that yesterday I was doing more of a drag curl

Not an answer to your question but if you go to

https://usawa.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/RULEBOOK-11th-Edition.pdf

and search for "curl" and you'll find this. If memory serves, the pieces of paper you see in the picture at the back of the head and the butt are how that part of the rules is officiated.

Curious.

Okay, when I change to USAWA technique (curl to neck with shoulder flexion, no sway) my numbers went up dramatically.

42 kg / 92.4 lbs

I could have probably added a kilo or two more with some resting periods, but I felt it was enough to not be shameful and call it a day.

Still not half bodyweight, but less shameful.

Well, I don't know how to train it, but you should make a curl big weights for reps thread! (and maybe in smaller increments than the big plates cuz umm yeah...)

I got up to big plates today!

Granted, they were 10 kg bumper plates....

But it felt boss.

I think double yellows is within spitting distance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom