all posts post new thread

What music do you listen to when you train?

Lately, I prefer softer Texas/Alt Country when A&A snatching as I feel it helps me better control my heartrate.

Here’s a couple pages from one of my playlists:
Nice. I am such a big Townes Van Zant, Jason Isbell, and john hiatt fan that I am going to erg to Kevin Welch, who I had heretofore never heard of, starting now…..

Presumably you also like Son Volt? Saw them a couple months back. Incredible show.

It's either a Heavy Metal based playlist (mostly Metallica, slow heavy angry songs from Master of Puppets, Black Album or And Justice for All; some Trivium, Mastodon, Slipknot) or a podcasts.
Podcasts wise, I tend to catch up with work related stuff (Real Python Podcast), I do enjoy Unconfuse Me from Bill Gates or Darknet Diaries (hacking); Dan John, The Strongfirst Podcast, Alex Salkin, Pat Flynn, old episode of the Rdella Training, or I search for ad-hoc episodes about coaches/personalities/athletes etc... I enjoy some episodes of the Renaissance Periodisation podcast, I quite like Alex Bromley and Baker Barbell

When I first discovered Spotify I went absolutely bonkers, rediscovering all my old favourites, this allowed me to compile my own personal favourites from 40+ years ago ..... a practise session in the shed could be accompanied by selected individual songs from bands like

Slade : The Angels : Cold Chisel : Deep Purple : Bruce Springstein : ZZ Top :

(dude that intro...)

This one gets stuck in my head for days... I love it.

My kids heard this come on while I was training and became an instant favorite.

I ... I don't have a favorite from this band. I'm open to options.

First song on shuffle this am, worked out fine since I was only going to do 12-15 mins. of Animal Flows, on the :60. 2nd vid. is a bonus.
Give it a minute, (7empest) it will kick off, and you can find it performed live.

Rammstein - Feuer Frei! (Official Video)

I usually try to structure my own playlists so that they have a good balance between fast and slow songs, since I feel like it could get overwhelming with too many fast songs at once.
I do however also want to keep the energy up the whole time, and I have noticed that the Metallica songs "Seek And Destroy" and "Fade To Black" work great for that.

Of course, I do want a strong and energetic opening, and preferably something that continues for a while, so I tend to pick maybe 2-3 fast songs at the beginning, and then perhaps 1-2 slower songs after that.
I am very particular when it comes to these things, haha.

OH man, super jealous. I have yet to see Elder play live. Just recently got into them and I think their Innate Passage album is one of the best records put out in recent years. I will definitely check out PetroDragonic Apocalypse. I'm a casual Gizzard fan and still need to do the deep dive on their music. Flying Microtonal Banana and Butterfly 3000 were both excellent (albeit very different) albums that I've listened to from them.
Yes, Innate Passage is absolutely fantastic. I've been a casual Gizz fan too until recently, bought some tickets for the US tour next summer, figured I'd might as well start the deep dive. Those are excellent albums. Nonagon Infinity was the first of theirs to really hook me and also makes a great workout album.

You’re pretty old or just getting there.

Edgar Winter Group, "Frankenstein"
Iron Butterfly, "Gadda Da Vida"

Afterwards, relax to Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit"

Do these selections show my age???

I listened to Edger Winter in the mid seventies. I even OD’d on mescaline at one of his concerts at Madison Square Garden. Do you know what it’s like to have 30,000 people looking at you ‍and your friends passing you cigarettes that burn out between your fingers because you forgot to pass it.

I’m probably an odd one but I listen to a lot of country. It keeps me from hyping myself up. Hardy, Cody Johnson, Chris Stapleton and others. When I feel like listening to other stuff it’s usually Five finger Death Punch, Metallica, Trivium, Pantera, Senses Fail, and others. Sometimes I put on classsical too or don’t listen to anything.
Totally agree on music that DOES NOT hype me up. Most of the time I want something as laid back as possible to keep in a ‘practice’ mindset.

Nothing against music that gets me hyped, but I keep it for the days when I am feeling flat and unmotivated, or for the occasional harder than usual session.

Same logic as usually avoiding caffeine pre exercise, but using it for the reasons above.

I used to listen to the tv in the background because I work out at home. I learned the hard way don’t listen to comedy, something made me laugh and I almost hurt myself lol. But now I don’t listen to anything I enjoy the quiet.

Back
Top Bottom