all posts post new thread

Training less and spot reduction (video description no link)

What's interesting is that he says he doesn't have to cram protein anymore and now he's only getting 100-120 grams/day.

Either I waaaay underestimate my own protein intake, or I have NEVER in my life consistently gotten 2 grams/kilogram of bodyweight... Am I the only one who thinks getting that much protein is a major struggle?? (serious question)

Not an answer to your question, I fully realize, but ...

Getting that much protein has never been a major struggle for me because I don't attempt to get that much protein. I weigh myself most mornings. My diet-and-exercise planning takes that number, plus an awareness of what I've been eating and what exercise I've been doing, into account. That's all. C'est tout. If I were to attempt it, it would indeed be a major struggle for me.

-S-

Aaaand this pops up on my feed... I can't say I disagree with him:

Getting galaxy-brain jacked is bad for your social life, for sure.

Just doing a 5 step unit conversion on 1 line at work on a marker board to settle a bet is enough to seem like a sorcerer to genpop.

If you're going to get into the weeds, just make sure you don't do something silly, like thinking that doing the math is a substitute for the scientific method. Right, Eric? ;)

Getting that much protein has never been a major struggle for me because I don't attempt to get that much protein. I weigh myself most mornings. My diet-and-exercise planning takes that number, plus an awareness of what I've been eating and what exercise I've been doing, into account. That's all. C'est tout. If I were to attempt it, it would indeed be a major struggle for me.
Honestly I don't "struggle" per se, but I seem to be unable to sustain a 2g protein/kg bdwt intake without more attention to diet than I care to give. I guess if I was absolutely without a doubt convinced of the necessity, I'd probably do it but... I don't know - maybe that's why I don't squat 300kg(?).

So, I have been training (hard, for me) 5 days a week for some time now. I do it because I have the time and enjoy it. I try not to overtrain but I tend to overreach.

A couple of weeks ago I started eating less for general health getting older. Even though I lost weight my midsection has remained flabby. At first I blamed it on less kettlebell work. I also had thought maybe it’s high cortisol so I was going to seek ways to reduce it until I watched this video and learned that I should reduce my training to less days per week or ease up on a couple days. I am not seeking advice so much but want to share what has changed my thoughts on the possible solution.

I despise YouTube science influencers who have to have something new every day or week when the reality is there is nothing new. IMO

If you have no interest just move along and have a good day and don’t stop.

****Profanity used sorry, I don’t know why people do that****
5 Fitness HOT takes & The Science of Spot Reduction (yes it’s real)
Brendan Tietz
Something that could apply here.
If you have one sack of 100 apples and three other sacks of 15, 25, and 35 apples, and you remove 10 apples from each sack the difference in the 100 apple sack is less noticeable.

Something that could apply here.
If you have one sack of 100 apples and three other sacks of 15, 25, and 35 apples, and you remove 10 apples from each sack the difference in the 100 apple sack is less noticeable.
Thanks, I’ve made a decision to drop a few apples. They say apples are healthy for you. The bad thing is the reduced bags of apples will look skinny in clothes.

Last edited:
Whenever I eat 1g/lb ( tracked )or above , I feel like it’s a ridiculous amount. Roughly 60-70% of that feels ok without feeling like I have to shovel more eggs/chicken/steak in.
I struggle to eat massive amounts of protein as well. a few years ago I somehow got the idea I needed 1gm/lb of target weight and that was extremely difficult.

I was reading The World's Fittest Cookbook by Ross Edgley today (2022 edition page 25) it quoted the International Olympic Committee as recommending 1.7gm/kg ( = 0.77gm/lb) for strength and speed athletes.

That is a tadge more than your estimate of 60-70% quoted above - not sure how to say this without insulting anyone ummmmmmm how about something like ............. us "recreational athletes" probably wouldn't have the dietary requirements of Olympians ?

Doing a google search on international olympic committee protein recommendation finds several papers with various ranges of protein intake discussed.

us "recreational athletes" probably wouldn't have the dietary requirements of Olympians ?
As you get older you start becoming less efficient at processing protein, so protein needs actually go up.

Otherwise, you’re talking about a genetically elite subset of individuals. It is hard to say anything in regards to us needing more or less of something relative to them without actually studying it.

The general consensus of most studies is that 0.7-1.0 g/lb is sufficient for recreational athletes (eg “active adults”) as well as professional athletes.

As you get older you start becoming less efficient at processing protein, so protein needs actually go up.
Thanks John,

I've been interested in "less efficient" .......... How do you think about "less efficient" ? ie

a) Doris is 10 years older now and Y% less efficient at utilising protein so Doris needs to eat Z% more protein to come out with the same benefit as she did 10 years ago. ie if you continually shovel in more protein than last year you can "tread water". Does there have to be a limit to this way of thinking - ie do the worlds 100year old people have to eat massive amounts of protein compared to when they were 30 in order to simply keep ticking over - any longtitudonal studies done on the same people over a long time ? I guess if I reach 100 I should be happy and thankful to be active rather than be worrying too much about protein intake and how much I can press.

b) other ways of thinking about this ? Anything out there you can recommend for reading ?

Last edited:
Thanks John,

I've been interested in "less efficient" .......... How do you think about "less efficient" ? ie

a) Doris is 10 years older now and Y% less efficient at utilising protein so Doris needs to eat Z% more protein to come out with the same benefit as she did 10 years ago. ie if you continually shovel in more protein than last year you can "tread water". Does there have to be a limit to this way of thinking - ie do the worlds 100year old people have to eat massive amounts of protein compared to when they were 30 in order to simply keep ticking over - any longtitudonal studies done on the same people over a long time ? I guess if I reach 100 I should be happy and thankful to be active rather than be worrying too much about protein intake and how much I can press.

b) other ways of thinking about this ? Anything out there you can recommend for reading ?
I read it in a book by Alan Aragon, someone I consider a premier authority on nutrition and particularly protein. I do not currently have access to his book, but there are two that he has that spend at least a little time addressing this, both available on his website.

This seems to be a free (albeit academic) look at this issue. The main thing is the muscle protein synthesis seems to require more ingested protein to stimulate (e.g. it is usually maximally stimulated in young healthy adults with about 30g of protein, but this paper says that per meal intake of protein is optimized at 0.4 - 0.6 g/kg for an older adult - 40-60g for a 100kg person, or 30-45g for a 75kg person.

Back
Top Bottom