all posts post new thread

The body is a marvel of non-intuitive connections

I too have been working on imbalances. One I have found is my right foot stability is poor which I found trying to do single leg deadlifts. My form is terrible when balancing on the right foot. This in turn seems to affect my glute activation on that side which in turn affects my power generation in the snatch. It's curious because my MP is strong on my right side but my snatch on the right is quite a struggle and I seem to have traced it back to this problem beginning in the foot.

So I have found a lot of benefit lately to working on my foot and ankle mobility and strength as well as working on diaphragmatic breathing. It has really loosened up a lot of tightness caused by me sitting at a desk all day. For me, 6 point rocking has been tremendous in loosening up the fascia in my feet. I really focus on driving back into my toes and stretching the foot. Sometimes I'll relax into that toe stretch and then go back to active rock in my new range of motion. I also use some of the foot mobilizations that are suggested by the folks over at the foot collective. I'll do these prior to training to ensure that my feet and toes are willing and able to work actively during my workout practice. There is definitely still an imbalance between sides but it seems to be improving.

I have been using Geoff's P3 protocol (AKA sore joint solution) for about 6 months now which focuses quite a bit on diaphragmatic breathing and neck/spine movement via neck nods and other movements. This one is harder to articulate the benefit but using the test/retest method, I do achieve larger ranges of motion in things like squats after a session of this. I also just feel a lot better in general when I am consistent with the P3/Sore Join Solution sessions.

FYI, the palate swipe is the only maneuver where you have a finger ( thumb actually ) in your mouth.

I run this whole series plus a handful more in around 15 minutes. The short version ( 15 minute full body stress reset ) is to run the first three maneuvers only.
Do a few air squats cold , then run palate swipe, totally twisted, and anti-gravity, then retest your squat. Odds are your squat will improve.

Very interesting. Will watch later and try in the next day or two.

-S-

Toes in lunge position?
I'm not able to do that... but I've derived benefits from sitting on my heels, which I practice during my rocks and nods
I'm not totally sure what you mean by toes in lunge position. I think we are talking about the same thing. But just to clarify, I mean 6 point position with hands, knees, and feet touching the ground. Then having the toes active instead of the top of the foot touching the ground. You can be very gentle here with the toes if you put most of your weight forward onto your hands and then rock back slowly. I just feel out how much movement I can tolerate. Some days it's not much.

I sometimes struggle with putting my full weight into my toes when lunging when barefoot. The rocking, OTOH, is much more my speed right now.

FYI, the palate swipe is the only maneuver where you have a finger ( thumb actually ) in your mouth.

I run this whole series plus a handful more in around 15 minutes. The short version ( 15 minute full body stress reset ) is to run the first three maneuvers only.
Do a few air squats cold , then run palate swipe, totally twisted, and anti-gravity, then retest your squat. Odds are your squat will improve.

Great share @Don Fairbanks. Human Garage is filled with alot of great info.

lol now I'm feeling overwhelmed about cleaning up my remaining dysfunctions again. The culprits could be ANYTHING.
I agree. I find this topic unpleasant if it reflects reality. Things like the 45 minute stretch routine posted in the thread would probably increase my week's physical training time by 50% or more, depending on what programs I'm feasibly running at different times. Then the idea that there are so many unexpected causes to very real problems (like listening in one ear...) Multiply these therapy sessions across the weeks (if not repeatedly during the day) and it seems like a full time job to undo mysterious injuries. I guess the hope is to perform SOME movement every day and that it counteracts the unimagined causes of damage.

The level of trial and error involved is significant right now. Perhaps physical knowledge will increase at some point the way computing power has and people will be able to find the causes of their problems quickly and address them efficiently. As of now I just hope everyone can conclude their therapy exercise quests as quickly, efficiently, and effectively as possible.

I agree. I find this topic unpleasant if it reflects reality. Things like the 45 minute stretch routine posted in the thread would probably increase my week's physical training time by 50% or more, depending on what programs I'm feasibly running at different times. Then the idea that there are so many unexpected causes to very real problems (like listening in one ear...) Multiply these therapy sessions across the weeks (if not repeatedly during the day) and it seems like a full time job to undo mysterious injuries. I guess the hope is to perform SOME movement every day and that it counteracts the unimagined causes of damage.

The level of trial and error involved is significant right now. Perhaps physical knowledge will increase at some point the way computing power has and people will be able to find the causes of their problems quickly and address them efficiently. As of now I just hope everyone can conclude their therapy exercise quests as quickly, efficiently, and effectively as possible.
All the maneuvers in the 45 min vid can be ran in around 10 minutes.

I agree completely. This is a very important aspect of my life and I would gladly spend money on an expert instead of doing trial and error myself, but in the past I've spent a small fortune on experts and nothing improved.

Last edited:
All the maneuvers in the 45 min vid can be ran in around 10 minutes.
While that is good for the people who need it, that was the specific example at hand. There are many other physical therapy modalities, some that require a long time. I tried MELT method and other foam rolling to see what it would do for my flexibility. The answer is nothing but it did use up a ridiculous amount of time. Kelly Starret's stuff is highly recommended but also was time consuming for me. A lot of therapies and methods ask for a big time investment with increasing disappointment at the lack of rewards.

I agree completely. This is a very important aspect of my life and I would gladly spend money on an expert instead of doing trial and error myself, but in the past I've spent a small fortune on experts and nothing improved.
This is the other problem and it stretches across our society. Self described experts are often anything but experts. It's unfortunate that we may have to wait for certain "fixes" to become so common within our culture that they cannot be denied before people reliably know how to treat certain conditions. Trial and error for my own problems ultimately ran into a suggestion to hang from a bar more and luckily that worked. I could see how maddening it would be to tell millions of people with different conditions that their ears or ankles are at fault and need to invest a lot of time on it. That could be overwhelming. Especially when "trial and error" leads to "hope but doubt and then confirm doubt" fairly quickly.

Have you considered an OS workshop or something like that?

Have you considered an OS workshop or something like that?
I have been mulling that over, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm still trying to get my life straightened out from Covid and there are still a few things I'd like to get sorted before I go to an OS workshop or coach.

My two cents and personal experience is that moving "better" during training will aid a lot of bodily issues more than any foam-rolling, voodoo flossing, stick a finger in your mouth or whatever routine will. I realize that "better" is a vague term, and for that I must apologize, I guess. The unfortunate reality is that many well-meaning fitness and health professionals have just been repeating a lot of the same info for a long time, and some of that info has been shown to be ineffective (see below). To me, moving "better" means not fighting natural movement; e.g. not trying to externally rotate something when internal rotation is needed to accomplish the movement.

Unfortunately the reality is that many experts are parroting information they learned from someone else, who learned it from someone else, etc… Some of that information has been shown to be unsupported by evidence, as...ahem...evidenced by the fact that there are so many people who have "tried everything" and gone to numerous professionals with no improvement.

For example, for the sake of the thread, I have been dealing with a wonky shoulder for the past few years. I have learned tons about the shoulder, how it moves, all the muscles (I was formerly on track to get an exercise science degree and go into physcial therapy school), etc. What I was never taught was that there is FAR less correlation between scapular dyskinesis and shoulder pain than you might expect. I have gone through cycles where I film every set of what I do to see if my scapula moves better, only to wind up in an frustrated and anxious state of mind, asking myself, "why does nothing help?"

You know what has helped the most? Stopping filming myself, and just trying to find ways to move that feel good for me (the appearance of the scapula be damned). After seeing some of the research on technique and injury prediction, it became apparent that "perfect form" is something of a fallacy. Pushups are bothersome for me, but internally rotating my hands on pushups often makes them feel better. I got the idea after watching calisthenics "legend" Dejan Stipke perform power pushups that way.

Long story short, my shoulder isn't perfect, but it's getting better, slowly, and mostly because I just try and move as "naturally" as I can ("naturally" in this case meaning "not cued"), in ways that don't produce unwanted side effects.

E3 Rehab has some "myth busting" videos as well, where some of the studies are discussed. They have videos and social media on other topics as well.

Canadian Physio Greg Lehman is also a great, no-BS source of information. Beware, though, he will likely tell you that a lot of what you've learned hasn't been supported by evidence. His blog is good, and he has lots of youtube interviews and talks, but his instagram/twitter (I'm not calling it "X") is where he posts most of the links to studies.

For example:

His blog:

Now, before I irritate at least half of the forum, again, let me take a second to elaborate:

All this is NOT to say that how you move doesn't matter at all. What it is saying is that some things are pathologized by professionals, and that can affect how patients/clients perceive their pain and movement quality. Lehman is big on the bio-psycho-social model of pain. That is, pain is influenced by biology, psychology, and one's social life.

There is something called the "nocebo" effect, describing how patients might experience a negative effect because they have been led to believe it will occur.

Given the fact that there is evidence that certain movements don't spell doom for your body, this is why I dislike the pathologizing of movement. I've seen threads started here where someone was concered about "butt wink" in an air squat. No offense to these people; they have been led to believe that "butt wink" is going to make their back explode or something, and they have been led to that belief by people who were also led to that belief...etc

To conclude:
I am still a big fan of learning how the body works. I think that I have landed on the conclusion that if someone is having trouble with something, you just have to try things until you find something that helps. I posted about Gary Ward and PRI. I have had lots of success with their approaches, but guess what? Not supported by studies (at least as far as I am aware of).

I think we should consider ourselves lucky if a first-try, "standard" approach to something fixes our issues. Most of the time, however, I think we do best by learning, trying things out, and seeing what seems to make improvements. Lehman has pointed out how when it comes to back pain, targeted "stability" exercises and the like have been shown to be no more effective than general strength training, loaded in an appropriate fashion.

It's nice when we can go to someone and have them say, "do this," and it works. But it's like the age old adage about teaching a man to fish.... just take some time to learn about the body. It doesn't have to be hours. Just a few minutes a day is good. To that end, learn about your own body. Experiment with it. What happens if you move this way, twist that thing, lengthen this way, etc? It's like RIR and autoregulation. You have to become more self-aware to make it really work.

Hopefully something in there is helpful to someone. Dealing with injuries and body issues is quite complicated, and fixing them is often more of a tangled mess than a straight line.

Back
Top Bottom