all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Summer training project; help me fix my scapula (so I can do plain old pushups again)

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I went back to your very first post and I think you might consider just reworking your push-up positioning and trying to build strength that way, rather than doing everything but push-ups.
As you set up for the push-up, you initially have good scapula positioning, but then you shift your feet and hips and wing the scapula before beginning the set - the scaps stay winged from then on. Can you do any push-ups while the scaps remain "stuck to your back pockets" as they are in this pic?

View attachment 24862
Allllright, I finally had free time to upload a video to demonstrate. This is concentric-only pushups. The scap stays in place much better, but the front of that shoulder (anterior glenohumeral joint area) feels kind of "pinchy" or like something is being strained when I do this. I don't know if that's linked to the scap, but it tends to be the case.

Additionally, I have been doing those prone "swimmers" that I posted pretty much every day, sometimes up to 4-5 sets of 10. They seem to help get the scap in a place where it feels more comfortable afterwards, though it has yet to translate to horizontal pushups.

I haven’t tried that specifically, but when I do try to do a number of “hard sets” of push-up variations (so things like weighted push-ups or harder variations) my neck tends to get tight after… so I’m thinking no. If I’m feeling adventurous I suppose I might try it. I’m curious why you suggest that; maybe something is overactive or something?

It would just be interesting to see what your body sees as the optimal way to move when challenged vs how you yourself perceive it should be done.

Why do you think the neck gets tight? A pinched nerve? Overactive muscles? Unused muscles?

Often fatigue or load teaches the movement well. But there's a difference between a dysfunction and learning technique.

Why do you think the neck gets tight? A pinched nerve? Overactive muscles? Unused muscles?
My theory is that when the scapula isn’t working properly, other muscles in the area are trying to pick up the slack (maybe the levator?) I don’t have any symptoms usually associated with nerve issues, as far as I’m aware. No pins and needles or loss of sensation anywhere else. I think some of my scapular muscles aren’t activating, if i had to take an educated guess. I think it’s also possible that there is/was some anterior instability or an injury that body is/has been trying to avoid.

I’ve also noticed that since doing some upper back drills, that the resting position of the scap feels better. I think it’s been wanting to roll up and forward more than I thought it was.

Last edited:
Hey man!

I've had the same issue in the past and worked with a bunch of clients that have similar issues with either winging, or being stuck in protraction. As other have said, build more muscle, do more serious upper back work and things that will get your scaps through their full ROM. It looked like you weren't able to get fully protracted, which could be why your scaps want to do their own thing. If you can find heavy loaded exercises that force you to pin your scaps down you should see some improvement.

A couple exercises I'd recommend, in order of my own personal importance/preference:

1. Head supported Dumbbell Rows - these are amazing, they let you work a strict horizontal pull and should also create some nice tension in your neck muscles - Cues are "long spine," and "reach your knuckles all the way down to the floor". You want to feel the muscles in between your shoulders stretching bigggg. These humbled me when my coach put them in my program last training block.

2. Barbell Shrugs - Stupid Heavy, Power Shrugs, use straps, a belt, whatever. Make these safely sloppy and fun, use your body and cheat a little. The idea here would be to completely overload the traps from upper to middle to lower. Work up to a weight you think is ridiculous and do them there. I would shy away from a trap bar or dumbbells because we want you to be forced to keep your scaps depressed and protracted.

3. Chest Supported Lat Pulldown in protraction - Set up a bench almost vertical, seat facing away from the cable machine. Sit reverse with you chest against the backrest, hang your shoulder around the side of it and do a cable pulldown while keeping your elbow aggressively pushed forward. You will have limited range of motion but we want to keep you pulling in the range where your scap stays flush against the ribcage. On the eccentric, try to push your elbow forward and up. You should feel a wild stretch in your lat.

Hope that helps bud!

Chest Supported Lat Pulldown in protraction - Set up a bench almost vertical, seat facing away from the cable machine. Sit reverse with you chest against the backrest, hang your shoulder around the side of it and do a cable pulldown while keeping your elbow aggressively pushed forward. You will have limited range of motion but we want to keep you pulling in the range where your scap stays flush against the ribcage. On the eccentric, try to push your elbow forward and up. You should feel a wild stretch in your lat.
Thanks for the recommendations. I’m a bit confused about this last one though. Is it like doing a lat pull down but like the cables are pulling the shoulders back, and you’re trying to keep them forward? (If that makes sense)

Back
Top Bottom