all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Shorts Used To Be Shorter

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
A tale from an aging, skinny powerlifter:

When I was younger, shorts were short. A quick Google says they had an inseam length of about 3" (65 mm). Being as I'm a year or two older than my favorite NBA player, Larry Bird, those are what I grew up wearing, grew up seeing, and what I still prefer.

Screen Shot 2024-06-25 at 9.12.38 AM.png

Since I've started running a bit again, I went into a running store in my town, wearing a pair of shorts that were apparently the only pair of shorts I still owned. They had a longer inseam and were so old that the elastic is all stretched out and they practically fall off me. (The people in the store said, "If your shorts are too big, that's a good problem to have" in this age of rampant obesity.) I asked to see what they had in the way of running shorts and, of course, I didn't like any of them - too long in the inseam, the colors were too garish, the fit too baggy. I asked if they might have something with a shorter inseam and in plain, old black, and person helping me said they might but that no such shorts were out on display so she'd have to go look at the inventory in the basement.

She came back empty-handed, but while she was down there, I found myself looking at women's running shorts.

Bottom line: I'm a size 8 in Lululemon Hotty Hot, High-Rise Shorts.

I've worn them for two runs so far, and they're what you want your athletic clothing to be - completely forgettable, totally unobtrusive. I just ordered a second pair, this time in Navy Blue, about the only color in running shorts I can tolerate other than Black.

I'll bet not many of you men reading along know what size you are in Lululemon Hotty Hot High-Rise Shorts. Just sayin'... Picture is from the Lululemon website so those aren't my scrawny legs, just in case some of you were wondering.

Screen Shot 2024-06-25 at 9.27.24 AM.png

-S-

I'll bet not many of you men reading along know what size you are in Lululemon Hotty Hot High-Rise Shorts. Just sayin'... Picture is from the Lululemon website so those aren't my scrawny legs, just in case some of you were wondering
If you look up military running shorts, you will find a lot of shorts that have a length you may be looking for. They are made of nice material and are usually less than $20. I've had the same pair for years.

A tale from an aging, skinny powerlifter:

When I was younger, shorts were short. A quick Google says they had an inseam length of about 3" (65 mm). Being as I'm a year or two older than my favorite NBA player, Larry Bird, those are what I grew up wearing, grew up seeing, and what I still prefer.

View attachment 25299

Since I've started running a bit again, I went into a running store in my town, wearing a pair of shorts that were apparently the only pair of shorts I still owned. They had a longer inseam and were so old that the elastic is all stretched out and they practically fall off me. (The people in the store said, "If your shorts are too big, that's a good problem to have" in this age of rampant obesity.) I asked to see what they had in the way of running shorts and, of course, I didn't like any of them - too long in the inseam, the colors were too garish, the fit too baggy. I asked if they might have something with a shorter inseam and in plain, old black, and person helping me said they might but that no such shorts were out on display so she'd have to go look at the inventory in the basement.

She came back empty-handed, but while she was down there, I found myself looking at women's running shorts.

Bottom line: I'm a size 8 in Lululemon Hotty Hot, High-Rise Shorts.

I've worn them for two runs so far, and they're what you want your athletic clothing to be - completely forgettable, totally unobtrusive. I just ordered a second pair, this time in Navy Blue, about the only color in running shorts I can tolerate other than Black.

I'll bet not many of you men reading along know what size you are in Lululemon Hotty Hot High-Rise Shorts. Just sayin'... Picture is from the Lululemon website so those aren't my scrawny legs, just in case some of you were wondering.

View attachment 25300

-S-
You might like some of these. Have not worn the NFQ's, I usually run in KUHL Renegade, which come in 8-10-12" inseam.

Last edited:
Steve- try looking at Ranger panties:

I have the opposite problem. I have a handful of amazing shorts (for rock climbing) that are light, no extras and 9" inseams.

The pendulum has swung the other way and I haven't found anything near this combination in along time.

If you look up military running shorts, you will find a lot of shorts that have a length you may be looking for. They are made of nice material and are usually less than $20. I've had the same pair for years.
Yeah I was gonna suggest ranger panties.
They definitely sell those.

I have been wearing silkies for almost 24 years now, most comfortable shorts you will ever own.
I'm looking forward to receiving the two pair I ordered. I went with one in a size small (color: gunmetal grey) and one in a size medium (color: od green) because I'm not sure which will fit best. The two pair together cost half what one pair of Lululemons did.

-Steviemon Hotty Hot-

Back
Top Bottom