all posts post new thread

Interval Walking Training-Japan

ShawnM

Level 9 Valued Member
While drinking my morning coffee before going out to get my training in I came across an interesting video on YouTube. It was about interval walking training and a study conducted by a university in Japan. I found it pretty interesting. I need both my knees replaced and can no longer run and really can't ride a bike where I live so I'm thinking of giving this a shot over the next month.

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=interval+walking+training+japan

The link above should bring you to the video if you are interested. It was only about 25-30 minutes long.

Have a great day!

Interval training… imagine that…
They also had a section on slow jogging that I found interesting. If I remember correctly, they used slow jogging, like very slow jogging, as a form of therapy for both heart patients and older people in cognitive decline and found that both groups, more over the heart issue peeps, made really good improvement to overall health. As I write this, I'm feeling I might need to start the slow jogging since I can't remember a detail from a 25-minute-long video that I just watched five hours ago.

They also had a section on slow jogging that I found interesting. If I remember correctly, they used slow jogging, like very slow jogging, as a form of therapy for both heart patients and older people in cognitive decline and found that both groups, more over the heart issue peeps, made really good improvement to overall health. As I write this, I'm feeling I might need to start the slow jogging since I can't remember a detail from a 25-minute-long video that I just watched five hours ago.
I haven’t watched the video but what you’re saying makes me think of Niko Niko running.

While drinking my morning coffee before going out to get my training in I came across an interesting video on YouTube. It was about interval walking training and a study conducted by a university in Japan. I found it pretty interesting. I need both my knees replaced and can no longer run and really can't ride a bike where I live so I'm thinking of giving this a shot over the next month.

The link above should bring you to the video if you are interested. It was only about 25-30 minutes long.

Have a great day!
Anything that raises your heart rate is good. If you find that you enjoy this kind of cardio, then it is ideal.
If I were you, I would most likely prefer long regular walks and elliptical machine, but it is just a matter of preference.

Have a great day!
One of the listed videos is about Niko-Niko running, or really slow shuffling jogging. It's a fantastic way to do LISS cardio.

I haven’t watched the video but what you’re saying makes me think of Niko Niko running.
I tried Niko Niko when it was a pretty strong trend on Be Well and Strong. The effort was frustrating for me. I didn’t have the patience to interval, slow jog to keep my HR down to the threshold. My son made fun of me for running slower than he walked. My kids thought I was trying to be funny…

Should pick it back up at some point. Joints are starting to feel some wear and tear.

I tried Niko Niko when it was a pretty strong trend on Be Well and Strong. The effort was frustrating for me. I didn’t have the patience to interval, slow jog to keep my HR down to the threshold. My son made fun of me for running slower than he walked. My kids thought I was trying to be funny…

Should pick it back up at some point. Joints are starting to feel some wear and tear.
I started running again after a big injury and multi year lay off back in 2014. I had known of Maffetone and followed his HR guidelines very strictly and I was usually lucky to make 3 miles in an hour with how slow I “jogged.”

Since you mentioned it, I’ve been getting heavily into slow jogging over the last year or so.

The book Slow Jogging mentions that you’ll probably go slower than a walk when you just start out. Your ability builds over time.

Side note - the book doesn’t emphasize heart rate at all. In one chapter it gives several methods of finding your Niko Niko pace, heart rate being one of them. It goes on to give a lot of caveats that the overall RPE of the run (maintaining a smile) is far more important than speed, heart rate, whatever.

You should probably start with Maffetone cardio (it's a bit less frustrating), then graduate to Niko-Niko.

You might be interested in the Soleus Push Up research.

Published in the journal iScience, Hamilton’s research suggests the soleus pushup’s ability to sustain an elevated oxidative metabolism to improve the regulation of blood glucose is more effective than any popular methods currently touted as a solution including exercise, weight loss and intermittent fasting. Oxidative metabolism is the process by which oxygen is used to burn metabolites like blood glucose or fats, but it depends, in part, on the immediate energy needs of the muscle when it’s working.

You might be interested in the Soleus Push Up research.

I just went on a deep dive with the soleus muscle and am struck by the fact that Extreme Isometric pulls seem to heavily involve the soleus. This might explain some of the claims that Extreme Isos boost the metabolism in weird ways. Or I could be doing bro science.

Anyways, I just tried these and am going to give them a shot for awhile since they're very easy to fit into my work day. Just treat them like LISS, I guess?

There's definitely something to it. My bum ankle also plays a factor in limiting what modalities of cardio I have access to. Speed walking has been useful.

Some Japanese studies are discussed in Dr. Gibala's book: "one-minute workout". I have been using interval training for "cardio" for several weeks.

I have found it to have been profitable to use as little as 1 - 2 minutes of hard all-out effort for my cardio work, for the day.

I just went on a deep dive with the soleus muscle and am struck by the fact that Extreme Isometric pulls seem to heavily involve the soleus. This might explain some of the claims that Extreme Isos boost the metabolism in weird ways. Or I could be doing bro science.

Anyways, I just tried these and am going to give them a shot for awhile since they're very easy to fit into my work day. Just treat them like LISS, I guess?
Yes. The only thing that puzzles me is that I certainly don't hear or read much about Soleus pushups except from the original researcher or a bunch of guys on YouTube making mistakes in implementation.

I’m curious as to what metrics you are using to determine the profitability…

Caveat: So, for me, I'm starting at a relatively low level of cardio/conditioning, anyways.

I've tried including some things and they weren't quite on target for me, loaded carries, step ups, etc. they didn't hurt, but they were not exactly what I was looking for, apparently; cardio-wise.

That said, ...

There are a few changes I've noticed since I started...

-----------------------------

Blood pressure
I can sense my own pulse to one degree or another, and the intensity of that sensation has been lessening in intensity. It's most apparent after bounding up a flight of steps. Bounding up a flight of steps at home is one of my favorite tests, since I have a stair case at home, I can just run up it as fast as I can, to see if it was easier or harder than I remember.

Also, I have been pre-hypertensive in recent years when they take my vitals at a check up. Kinda just above the normal range. I wonder if that'll have changed next time it's measured.

Step count
I think the first time I tried these 20 second walking sprints I counted ~28 steps. That went from 28 steps to 30, to 32, to 35, and now Today my fastest sprint counted 38 steps. Several of them were solidly 37 step efforts.

I count the foot falls of the same side foot. So, each time the left foot steps, (left)1, (right), (left)2, (right), etc.

RPE
Just as I've been observing the fall in RPE from my AXE training, so too have there been decreases in RPE from these short sprint sessions.

Yeah, I'm breathing hard when I finish but not quite as hard as when I first started. My heart is quickly pounding, but not quite as much as when I first tried this.

A set of burpees is not quite as taxing as before. The speed walking sprints are not quite as difficult.

What the hell effect?

I found it to be interesting that my RPE had a drop for my loaded carries when I started including these sprints. That's something I want to look at again later: Whether the direct cardio training more effectively improves my loaded carry performance (maybe just for now, during something like a newbie gains period.) than loaded carries, practiced regularly.

-------------------------

So, as far my training is concerned, a minute or two a day does a lot for me because of my lower conditioning levels, and aspirations. The most I have to do is carry one of my kids a long way, or move some branches and trees around on the property.

An aside
But, as Dr Gibala's book points out, Mr Andy Magness apparently used HIIT training for longer duration events like ultra marathons or Iron Man races.

Link if interested to Mr Magness book. "Ultra Mental"

1000005184.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed response.

Yeah, there is no doubting the effectiveness of HIIT (to a point, and for certain situations and circumstances)
I utilize these methods myself as a component (albeit small) of my approach to locomotive endurance as well.

However (as per the approach of Mr. Magness) I remain skeptical as the efficacy of training for ultras on this approach alone.

In your case, it’s great that you have found something that you find works for you, and that you are getting positive adaptations.

Back
Top Bottom