all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Hypertrophy training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Meursault

Level 2 Valued Member
Is there a Strongfirst program or a general consensus on training for hypertrophy? Obviously there are quite a few SF barbell programs that would have muscle gain as a nice side effect, but is there anything specifically made with hypertrophy as a primary goal (using any modality)?

I seem to remember hearing Pavel briefly speaking about it on a podcast; it seemed that some sort of constant-tension training was what he was describing. Thanks!

training for hypertrophy?
The Mechanisms of Muscle Hypertrophy and Their Application... : The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research

Research by Dr Brad Schofield determined optimal Hypertrophy is accomplished with with three components...

1) Mechanical Tension: This is Maximum Strength Training with heavy loads, low repetition and long rest periods between sets.

2) Metabolic Stress: This is produced with moderate to high repetitions, low to moderate loads with short rest periods between sets. This place more constant tension on the muscles.

Constant Tenison with this method restricts blood flow to the muscles in the exercise. This produces "The Pump/The Burn".

Blood is trapped in the muscle ballooning them up which trigger an anabolic, muscle building effect.

3) Muscle Damage: Infrequently, pushing an exercise to near failure or failure.

Also, performing Full Range Movements; a Loaded Stretch.

The fully stretched position of with a loaded weight/resistance exercise produces Muscle Damage that leads to Hypertrophy.

Examples:

Full Squats, Dumbbell Bench Press, Pull Ups...all of these are Loaded Stretches.

Last edited:

The Mechanisms of Muscle Hypertrophy and Their Application to Resistance Training The Mechanisms of Muscle Hypertrophy and Their Application... : The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research

Research by Dr Brad Schofield determined optimal Hypertrophy is accomplished with with three components...

1) Mechanical Tension: This is Maximum Strength Training with heavy load, low repetition and long rest periods between sets.

2) Metabolic Stress: This is produced with moderate to high repetitions, low to moderate loads with short rest periods between sets. This place more constant tension on the muscles.

3) Muscle Damage: Infrequently, pushing an exercise to near failure or failure.

Also, performing Full Range Movements; a Loaded Stretch.

The fully stretched position of a loaded weight/resistance exercise produces Muscle Damage that lead to Hypertrophy.

Examples:

Full Squats, Dumbbell Bench Press, Pull Ups...all of these are Loaded Stretches.
Thanks for that - however, i'm aware of the mechanisms of hypertrophy, and the research by Schofield, and the way in which hypertrophy training is traditionally performed. My question was if there was a 'go-to' SF program that address this goal.

This series of articles springs to mind:

I believe Pavel also set the strongfirst principle by saying if you haven't achieved 1/2 bw press, ROP is their hypertrophy program. And that Simple should precede ROP so....
Simple
then ROP
then Total Tension Complex or KB Muscle or Beyond Bodybuilding or BuiltStrong etc. Many choices or cycle options once foundation is achieved.

Is there a Strongfirst program or a general consensus on training for hypertrophy? Obviously there are quite a few SF barbell programs that would have muscle gain as a nice side effect, but is there anything specifically made with hypertrophy as a primary goal (using any modality)?

I seem to remember hearing Pavel briefly speaking about it on a podcast; it seemed that some sort of constant-tension training was what he was describing. Thanks!
What are your priorities in regards to hypertrophy?

What are your strength levels at for the main compound lifts?

What are your priorities in regards to hypertrophy?

What are your strength levels at for the main compound lifts?
Having had access to barbells for a grand total of 5 weeks in the last year (thanks Covid), i can only imagine ive regressed a considerable amount, but no idea really without getting back to a gym.

No particular priorities - it was more of a general question to satisfy my curiosity. - hypertrophy as a stand alone topic isnt something i have seen discussed much here.

i'm aware of the mechanisms of hypertrophy, and the research by Schofield, and the way in which hypertrophy training is traditionally performed.
Understanding The Concepts

Since you are familiar with the mechanism of hypertrophy...

1) Your are ahead of the game.

2) You should be able to write your own training program.

This bring us to...

Conjugate Training

Zourdos and the Westside Powerlifting Training Program (as well as others) have demonstrated that increasing strength is optimally accomplished with training different type of strength in the same program; Hypertrophy, Power and Maximum Strength.

In other word, what works for Hypertrophy also works for increasing Maximum Strength and Power.

The primary difference is the objective determines which strength is focused on during the Conjugate Training Cycle, for the most part.

Hey,
I would recommend the articles of Fabio Zonin:
Also, the Built Strong events by Fabio Zonin.

Kind regards and Power and Health to you!

Zourdos and the Westside Powerlifting Training Program (as well as others) have demonstrated that increasing strength is optimally accomplished with training different type of strength in the same program; Hypertrophy, Power and Maximum Strength.
Do you have any good links on that? I have been considering doing another hypertrophy cycle myself. On that note: anything spring to mind that could be accomplished using mostly body weight (I do have a weight vest)?

No particular priorities - it was more of a general question to satisfy my curiosity. - hypertrophy as a stand alone topic isnt something i have seen discussed much here.
Just from what I've seen, no data, this forum is skewed towards discussion of (1) kettlebells and (2) strength, but every topic in exercise science (and more) gets some coverage just to a lesser extent. There are a few meatheads on here (like me) who care more about the size of our muscles than the sum total of the rest of our lives but only a few *sigh*. Pavel has graciously thrown the meatheads a bone with The Bear and Beyond Bodybuilding but I get the feeling he'd prefer it if we just grew up and lifted heavy. Fabio Zonin is/has been a bodybuilder and has written on SF from that perspective. Alas whereas sets of 3-5 reps staying away from failure and staying fresh as a daisy are the meat and potatoes of strength training, sets of ~10 reps close to failure ending up very tired is where you want to be if your goal is primarily hypertrophy. Strength and hypertrophy with a singular focus are sort of opposed like that but hybrid programs like 5x5 do a reasonable job of bridging the gap, I suppose

Look up "Strong As Hec" and get his (free) ebook "Kettlebell Workout Snacks." He has two hypertrophy-focused programs in there, Simple Muscle and Simpler Muscle. Just throwing that out there if you're looking for something to do.

How about Return of the kettlebell. You could get a second hand copy online.
After the ROP of course.
I remember hypertrophy is addressed in the ROP too, you just use shorter rest breaks.
Enjoy!

I believe Pavel also set the strongfirst principle by saying if you haven't achieved 1/2 bw press, ROP is their hypertrophy program. And that Simple should precede ROP so....
Simple
then ROP
then Total Tension Complex or KB Muscle or Beyond Bodybuilding or BuiltStrong etc. Many choices or cycle options once foundation is achieved.
For beginner if he has access to barbell then the classic 5x5 with squat, dead, bench, row is the hypertrophy program.
ROP is fine but it gains muscle so slow. When I start to use double kettlebell I see big jump in mass and muscle.

The Bear program from pttp?
It's funny that I stumbled across this thread tonight as I'm re-reading PTTP and I just read about the bear program.

Essentially it's a continuation of your working set and 90% working set, by doing 5x80% with 30-90sec rest until your form breaks. Not sure if anyone has ever tried it but would love to hear some reviews.

I ran 5x5 around the end of college and I didn't experience any notable gains until I switched over to a classic bodybuilding split routine with proper nutrition, but this is just my anecdotal experience.

Also, my initial reaction to the Westside Barbell Program was "wow, this seems way too complicated".

Last edited:
The Bear definitely worked for me but if you do it as written the multiple sets do take a while. I'm not convinced the results are superior compared to higher rep sets matched for volume (eg 10x5 Bear vs 5x10) but that's an argument for another day. I enjoyed it.

Programs like Westside are for very serious lifters, IMHO. Your average lifter, even with delusions of grandeur, doesn't need anything that complicated to be the best they're ever going to be. Now having said that, if they want to do Westside good luck to them!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom