all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Grip strength program

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Hello!

Anyone done a grip strength “program” or some kind of “protocol” before?

Been a bit inspired by an episode by Magnus Midtbø when he met Odd. 73 old man keeps getting stronger. That’s impressive.

I did the Convict Conditioning 2 grip protocol back in the day upto the master step. I enjoyed it allot and it got my grip really really strong but by the end my hands hurt lol. I can comfortably close a CoC #2 without training it and I attribute that to the work I put in with towel hangs in Convict Conditioning 2.

Honestly, if you just keep on lifting weights deep into old age, I think your grip will be fine and strong. Grip is a highly specific thing to the modality/event. Just something to keep in mind, Magnus is a genetic phenom and professional athlete, his weakest day is probably other people's best days ever.

Hello!

Anyone done a grip strength “program” or some kind of “protocol” before?

Been a bit inspired by an episode by Magnus Midtbø when he met Odd. 73 old man keeps getting stronger. That’s impressive.

I met Odd Haugen at the WABDL World's powerlifting meet back in 2007. Really awesome, humble guy. He was "only" 57 at the time and he deadlifted over 700lbs. He gave me some tips on my DL setup which I still use to this day.

Make yourself some homemade grip tools and start playing around with them.

I made myself some pinch blocks with leftover pieces of maple wood I had and some rope/string to hang plates. I also took some 1 ½ inch wooden dowels to make pull-up handles that kind of mimick towel pull-ups.

Plate pinches are also fun to play around with.

These will add variety from hangs or crush gripping KBs or grippers.

IMG_0248 (1).JPG

I did the Convict Conditioning 2 grip protocol back in the day upto the master step. I enjoyed it allot and it got my grip really really strong but by the end my hands hurt lol. I can comfortably close a CoC #2 without training it and I attribute that to the work I put in with towel hangs in Convict Conditioning 2.

Honestly, if you just keep on lifting weights deep into old age, I think your grip will be fine and strong. Grip is a highly specific thing to the modality/event. Just something to keep in mind, Magnus is a genetic phenom and professional athlete, his weakest day is probably other people's best days ever.
Ah forgot all about this book. I actually have it in my kindle library, will take a look! Thanks

Make yourself some homemade grip tools and start playing around with them.

I made myself some pinch blocks with leftover pieces of maple wood I had and some rope/string to hang plates. I also took some 1 ½ inch wooden dowels to make pull-up handles that kind of mimick towel pull-ups.

Plate pinches are also fun to play around with.

These will add variety from hangs or crush gripping KBs or grippers.

View attachment 25314
Actually started making some home equipment for this purpose! Was cleaning my garage yesterday and found a broken parasol. Found out I could use it as a thick pull-up bar. But need pinch block, so that was a good idea.

Attachments

• IMG_3393.jpeg
    IMG_3393.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 6
For someone who really enjoys grip training, I've never been able to stick to dedicated programs for it. When I do, it's usually a 1-2x/week thing and ,if I do it more often, other things start falling off the plate and/or I run into elbow and wrist issues.
What are your main exercises? I started with thick bar dead hang, farmer/suitcase and rope climbing.

Back
Top Bottom