all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Getting Old Staying Strong

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
The last few posts I've made, and typically the posts I comment on, are connected to aging.
I am 50. In my 30's I got into general barbell strength training and then bodybuilding.
Now I use only Kettlebells, Heavy Clubs & Mace.
Strength training is my fun, so as I fight aging (nagging injuries & mobility issues) I need to get creative as the list grows of things I can no longer do.
I can't lift big barbells anymore. I can't do jerking/yanking motions like KB Clean or KB Jerk.
So that is my journey. I am no longer chasing the numbers of a big lift or getting swole.
But rather just Staying Strong as I Get Old.
I eat meat, bread and drink whiskey and have noB plans on changing that.
I'm in my late 60s. My Dad started me lifting weights (Squat, Dead Lift, Flat Back Bench) when I was 8. Been at this physical fitness thing ever since. About 6 years ago I quit moving heavy iron, my joints couldn't take it, I wasn't gaining anything save for pain, injury, and stiffness. Switched to Sonnen's FlowFit and Tsatsouline's Simple and Sinister (EDGE for the last year) and Overcoming Isometrics. About 6 months ago I started incorporating Clubbell (one handed) and Mace (two handed), sometimes repeating a single exercise for reps, and sometimes opting for a flow routine. I look good (5'10, ~ 200 lbs. at somewhere around 24% BF - Calipers), feel great, and am starting to think I will live to be 100 enjoying a good quality of life.

I too am in my 50's. In addition to kettlebell and some rucking, I focus a lot on movement and mobility. I've benifited greatly from the work of Katy Bowman and Kelly & Juliet Starrett. Peter Attia's centenarian olympics is also a helpful framework. Recent motivation to stay mobile and strong has come from watching my parents' decline into weakness and frailty. "You'll understand when you're my age."
Have you looked into Ryan Hurst and the GMB guys? He has a lot of great mobility/movement stuff for any age.

1719682880428.jpeg
Purchased this the other day. Should help with getting old and staying strong.

Large well written book well worth $21

Hope to be sixty-seven in August.

I know there are caveats in the dogma yet it’s logical and keeps calling me.

Last edited:
My mother and father are in there 70. They deadlift, bench press and do some Turkish get-up 2-3 times a week. They feel it is great fun, and it increase their sense of well-being. They go to a local gym and talk to the owner and the other gym-goers. Social and health needs are met at the same time.

I looked at an album of my grand-parents. They were at a similar age as my parents are now, but they looked 30 years older.

They also seem to like having an active lifestyle: Gardening, hiking mountains, carpentry, painting etc etc.
Ballistic kettlebell work unfortunately seem to be out of the question since it takes some training to swing that bell.

My father hurt his knees in his youth and middle age by playing football and running on asphalt. High collision team-sports after the age of 15 is a bit like drugs. It might be tempting, but it is better to say no. Eat your broccoli and do your strength training and your knees will thank you.

I will be 72 in December and just was certified SFG1 in March. I work regularly with Louka Kurcer since my first instructor Jose de Guerra moved to Florida.
Despite a few challenges, I am doing well, and working on perfecting my form for the basic kettlebell skills and pickup up a few other skills like landmine, barbell and bodyweight (working toward 1 arm pushups and pistol squats). I love Indian Clubs as well. I find that my recovery time is a little slower than I was younger and I have to work twice as much on mobility for half the results. I saw a video lately on Instagram with a very active 90 year old. His children suggested he not do roof repairs,, so he got someone younger to do them: his 87 year old wife. I think most of what people attribute to aging is due to being out of shape. This gentlemen asked what his secret was. He said, "I stay off the couch".
Great suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom