all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Karlos

Level 1 Valued Member
I know basic guidelines to perform the swing but I was wondering if I was doing something wrong unconsciously and was not performing correctly.

Here is the video so please review and give me advice whether it is correct or not, any help is appreciated.
16kg
Doing S&S , novice. 2nd week of step loading

First time poster so I did not know where to post, if it is not the place for it, I apologize.

Last edited:
I know basic guidelines to perform the swing but I was wondering if I was doing something wrong unconsciously and was not performing correctly.

Here is the video so please review and give me advice whether it is correct or not, any help is appreciated.
16kg

First time poster so I did not know where to post, if it is not the place for it, I apologize.
All I found is a photo of you, there isn't a video.

16kg

Videos have to be hosted on another site (e.g. YouTube) and then the link put here.

Next time, try to record at a 45 degree angle with the camera at hip height. Looks like a decent beginning. Here are a few things I believe I see but again the angle is a little off to tell for sure.

1. Start with the bell closer to the foot you are going to swing on. This will help to start in a squared up position instead of having your torso rotate. It looked like you were rotating a bit.

2. When the bell is coming down, wait until your forearm is a split second away from making contact with your upper body. It looks like you were hinging back while the bell was still infront of you. This is a key point for back safety.

3. On the way back up it looks like you are pulling up with your arms and your shoulder is shrugging upwards. Envision yourself trying to push the ground down with your feet and keep your arm loose. This will help you to get power from your legs and hips instead of pulling it up with your arm. You want to use the big engine which is the hips.

Hope that helps and keep filming yourself!

Next time, try to record at a 45 degree angle with the camera at hip height. Looks like a decent beginning. Here are a few things I believe I see but again the angle is a little off to tell for sure.

1. Start with the bell closer to the foot you are going to swing on. This will help to start in a squared up position instead of having your torso rotate. It looked like you were rotating a bit.

2. When the bell is coming down, wait until your forearm is a split second away from making contact with your upper body. It looks like you were hinging back while the bell was still infront of you. This is a key point for back safety.

3. On the way back up it looks like you are pulling up with your arms and your shoulder is shrugging upwards. Envision yourself trying to push the ground down with your feet and keep your arm loose. This will help you to get power from your legs and hips instead of pulling it up with your arm. You want to use the big engine which is the hips.

Hope that helps and keep filming yourself!
Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated. I'll work on this in my daily practice.

Tldr I'm not a coach, $0.02

You know when somebody tries to jab you in the armpit from behind? When you react by trying to break their finger with your upper arm? I try to get that feeling in my armpit/lats during the setup when I grab the bell and my shoulder doesn't get disconnected as much and more of the tension supporting the weight in my arm goes to my lat and my hand. This kind of adjustment might help. It took me a while to learn this when going from two handed swing to one handed. This also helps connect the weight to your hips in the back swing, adding stability allowing for more power(IMHO).

Also, maybe your stance is too wide to feel the hamstrings and the hips stretch at the bottom? Pat Flynn likes to call it loading the bow. I think you might need to practice hiking the bell back more aggressively with your armpit/lat, or at least this helped me. Having my feet point forward also really helped me feel the posterior in moving the weight, this took all the weight off of my back. I'd give it a try if your back gets sore the day after.

I didn't read the whole thread or watch all the videos, but from the git-go your shoulder on the swing arm is bunched up. I've forgotten who coined the phrase, but Brett Jones (posted above) has quoted him as saying "The ears are shoulder poison" - when you shrug, your shoulder is not in a great position and it disengages the lats.

edit: iirc, it was Jeff O'Connor

Last edited:
No?

Does this happen to you a lot?
Since text would indicate you are serious, I will say that this is a queue for setting the lats in the deadlift I have seen mentioned several times on a few online "meathead" websites, tnation et cetera.

I personally use this queue to have a mind muscle connection with my lats during... most kettlebell exercises.

Were you a sheltered child that didn't rough house with the other boys in the school yard?

Maybe you should ask somebody to surprise you with a finger in the armpit from behind. The sleeper may awaken!

Were you a sheltered child that didn't rough house with the other boys in the school yard?

Armpit poking is rough housing?.

Where I grew up, it was choke holds, head locks, leg sweeps, body slams, arm bars, and other WWE-style emulations.

The lat cue I've heard more commonly is to crush something in your arm pit.

Last edited:
Since text would indicate you are serious, I will say that this is a queue for setting the lats in the deadlift I have seen mentioned several times on a few online "meathead" websites, tnation et cetera.

I personally use this queue to have a mind muscle connection with my lats during... most kettlebell exercises.

Maybe you should ask somebody to surprise you with a finger in the armpit from behind. The sleeper may awaken!
Like holding a dish towel or similar under your arm during a swing.

Back
Top Bottom