all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ETK:ROP snatch/swing weight, post Simple

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

WarrenEllis

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi strongfirst community!
This is my first post. Forgive me if this has been covered, excessively, but I’ve searched and cannot find an answer.
I’ve completed Simple. I’m just starting ROP. My understanding is to select a C&P weight which can be pressed comfortably 5-8x. For me that appears to be 24kg.
However, I’m at a loss how to determine a snatch and swing weight.
I understand this is subjective and should be relative to my goals and my experience level. However, my goal is to progress with ROP, and my experience level with KBs is the Simple standard.
Would I be best served starting the program with 24 all around (including snatches and swings?)
Should I continue swinging 32, but snatch 24?
All swings will be one armed. Snatches have been practiced with 16kg and form is clean and intuitive. I haven’t practiced with 24 much, but, the session itself should be approached as practice. My starting rep count will be surely be lower at 24 than 16, but I’d like to reach 200/10 minutes in 13 weeks.

Thanks in advance, either for suggestions or direction toward a previous discussion.

I’m planning to be in the same position soon and also trying to figure it out.

Both snatch and swigs are more open part of ROP and are not the main dish. Most report you can’t really do serious progress of snatches along the demanding 3 month press plan. Thus think of this ballistics as both skill developement, endurance and maintenance of your S&S gains.

Also, SF guidance had shifted even more to anti glycolic training since Pavel wrote ETK. Thus you really should avoid to beat the clock, go all out on your daily sessions, just on test days. Thus go by S&S and A+A talk test standards.

The ROP's pressing program which is done first in the workout can be physically draining in and of itself as the weeks go on. Think of the swings as some "conditioning" after the pressing and Pull ups.

I would do:
  • MWF: C&P ladders (w/ chin/pull-ups if you can)
  • Tuesday: 20 minutes of 5-7 heavy swings on the minute (32 should be ok for someone at Timeless Simple)
  • Thursday: At least 10, but less than 20, sets of 5-7 heavy swings on the minute
  • Friday: 3-5 rounds of 10-20 hard snatches (test bell) with 4-6 times the rest between rounds, e.g. 20 seconds on / 1:40 off x 5

I appreciate the responses.

I generally follow the talk test with ballistics, and I think that’s great advice. Reps, recovery, (talk testing), etc, will all be relative to the bell I’m using. So I was just curious whether, coming off of S&S, it was recommended to continue swings with a 32 or dial back to a 24, and similarly with the snatches, keeping a “practice” mentality as opposed to “testing.”

I agree the swings etc should be considered as bonus conditioning (and hip hinge/explosive training), but I’d still like to see if I can meet the written goal for snatches.

Sean M, I see merit to that template and if the cycle gets too challenging, I will certainly consider adapting to that template.

Thanks again everyone. I’ll plan to start my heavy day tomorrow, 24kg for c&p, 32 for swings, and I’ll attempt 24kg for snatches, keeping 20 nearby in case that’s a little too much for my first run at it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom