all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Effectiveness of RIR?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
When else would you base your estimation???
Maybe my misgivings are not exactly about RIR

Before the start of the set , when you're picking your weight. . .

Maybe I should reframe, don't we do a defacto RIR estimation when we pick a weight, dumbbell barbell or otherwise?

If we're using RIR to guide us, don't we have to calibrate our selection to some degree?

Don't we have target rep numbers as well?

Or, if we pick a RIR load does it not matter whether we use a 5, 10, or 20 rm load as long as you get 2, 7 or 17 reps? Being able to gauge whether 3 RIR for a lift is found at 205, 215, or 225 LBS or 225, 250, or 260 LBS, is something I'm not really confident about.

My estimation of max reps has had plenty of misses
I have enough trouble with gauging a set of presses amongst a 24, 28, and 32kg set of weights.

As I think about my limited experience with this metric I'm not sure I can ever guess an RIR in conjunction with a rep range target. At least, not currently, and not with any relatively high rate of accurate.

As I think about it, my experience with rep targets of still freight with a lot of misses. Having too many or too few max reps.

I imagine this will come with experience time and the reduced rate of progress that comes with increased levels of training.

But as to when to estimate RIR, It would be just as well never entertain weight selection beyond max of 5 reps before I start. And not bothering with estimating RIR until I have one or two left. If accuracy is really expected.

So. By contrast, my approach differs almost inversely.

So, when I am doing my own programming, If I am focusing on my strength, I do 5s or less. If I'm working on hypertrophy I'm doing 10-15 rep sets. I've had good luck with this criteria so far.

I use a nominal volume of 100 reps per session .

Session length is generally constrained to 30-40 minutes.

My experience with and therefore ability to predict RIR is very limited. My ignorance neither informs me of RIR usefulness nor utility.

So I have mixed feelings about this approach. I just go till I think I have 3 reps left and stop? How do I know I have 3 left ?

I have used at least the idea of RPE, assigned a number to how hard in think it was to complete a session. But I am skeptical of the practice. It runs counter to my punch the clock experience. I've been increasing muscle size and strength for a couple years more or less without these internally sensed metrics.

And I have been able to observe that increased tonnages have correlated very tightly with increase size and ability.

When I'm older and wiser....

Maybe I'll find out that RIR and RPE are more effective in the Future for how to gauge my training.

Maybe I'll find a time in the future where increases tonnage becomes less perfectly reliable as a guidepost.

But for now this new fangled RPE and RIR stuff comes off to me as a certain amount of hippie voodoo nonsense compared to increasing weight, and punching the clock.

I'm joking. But only halfway.

Maybe I'm weak and fat cuz I don't use RIR

I'm joking but only halfway.

I can't get away from the fear that it's so perfectly arbitrary and that it's so perfectly under my control that I'll mess it up anyway.

Last edited:

Maybe I should reframe, don't we do a defacto RIR estimation when we pick a weight, dumbbell barbell or otherwise?

If we're using RIR to guide us, don't we have to calibrate our selection to some degree?

Or, if we pick a RIR load does it not matter whether we use a 5, 10, or 20 rm load as long as you get 2, 7 or 17 reps? Being able to gauge whether 3 RIR for a lift is found at 205, 215, or 225 LBS or 225, 250, or 260 LBS, is something I'm not really confident about
It might help if you look at some of the examples of it in action posted above.

Maybe my misgivings are not exactly about RIR

Or, if we pick a RIR load does it not matter whether we use a 5, 10, or 20 rm load as long as you get 2, 7 or 17 reps? Being able to gauge whether 3 RIR for a lift is found at 205, 215, or 225 LBS or 225, 250, or 260 LBS, is something I'm not really confident about.

My estimation of max reps has had plenty of misses
I have enough trouble with gauging a set of presses amongst a 24, 28, and 32kg set of weights.

As I think about my limited experience with this metric I'm not sure I can ever guess an RIR in conjunction with a rep range target. At least, not currently, and not with any relatively high rate of accurate.

As I think about it, my experience with rep targets of still freight with a lot of misses. Having too many or too few max reps.

I imagine this will come with experience time and the reduced rate of progress that comes with increased levels of training.

But as to when to estimate RIR, It would be just as well never entertain weight selection beyond max of 5 reps before I start. And not bothering with estimating RIR until I have one or two left. If accuracy is really expected.

So. By contrast, my approach differs almost inversely.

So, when I am doing my own programming, If I am focusing on my strength, I do 5s or less. If I'm working on hypertrophy I'm doing 10-15 rep sets. I've had good luck with this criteria so far.

I use a nominal volume of 100 reps per session .

Session length is generally constrained to 30-40 minutes.

My experience with and therefore ability to predict RIR is very limited. My ignorance neither informs me of RIR usefulness nor utility.

So I have mixed feelings about this approach. I just go till I think I have 3 reps left and stop? How do I know I have 3 left ?

I have used at least the idea of RPE, assigned a number to how hard in think it was to complete a session. But I am skeptical of the practice. It runs counter to my punch the clock experience. I've been increasing muscle size and strength for a couple years more or less without these internally sensed metrics.

And I have been able to observe that increased tonnages have correlated very tightly with increase size and ability.

When I'm older and wiser....

Maybe I'll find out that RIR and RPE are more effective in the Future for how to gauge my training.

Maybe I'll find a time in the future where increases tonnage becomes less perfectly reliable as a guidepost.

But for now this new fangled RPE and RIR stuff comes off to me as a certain amount of hippie voodoo nonsense compared to increasing weight, and punching the clock.

I'm joking. But only halfway.

Maybe I'm weak and fat cuz I don't use RIR

I'm joking but only halfway.

I can't get away from the fear that it's so perfectly arbitrary and that it's so perfectly under my control that I'll mess it up anyway.
Maybe you shouldn't use RIR until you're a little more experienced. Or just stick with not using RPE/RIR, it works perfectly fine too.

Back
Top Bottom