all posts post new thread

Beginning Karate/Martial Arts as a middle age adult - thoughts?

You live in the heart of the best BJJ schools in the country! It has everything you describe, great for us older folks, strong sparring, great community, tons of tournament opportunities, especially in SoCal. My recommendation would be to check out all the gyms that are the most convenient, then pick the one you feel the most comfortable. My experience with my 15 years of bjj is that it's filled with great people. Some of my favorite training partners are in their 50s. Kettlebell training is a great supplement for it. Enjoy the journey!

You live in the heart of the best BJJ schools in the country! It has everything you describe, great for us older folks, strong sparring, great community, tons of tournament opportunities, especially in SoCal. My recommendation would be to check out all the gyms that are the most convenient, then pick the one you feel the most comfortable. My experience with my 15 years of bjj is that it's filled with great people. Some of my favorite training partners are in their 50s. Kettlebell training is a great supplement for it. Enjoy the journey!
Do you have any recs for the BJJ schools? It's a lot to parse through so any help/direction would be appreciated.

My concerns with BJJ are
1. Injury
2. Cost

Do you have any recs for the BJJ schools? It's a lot to parse through so any help/direction would be appreciated.

My concerns with BJJ are
1. Injury
2. Cost
Definitely understand both of your concerns! If you gave me a more specific area, I could try to give you some recommendations. However, it really comes down to personal preference. Some places are more interested in making World Champions, some cater to mma, while others will be more the average Joe vibe. You have to go to some of the ones close to you and meet the coaches and check the vibe out. Most places will give you a free intro class. Try them all and pick the one you like the best! The place that I’d like the best, might not be the best for you.

1. Injury is always a concern. It’s full contact, but I’ve definitely noticed that it’s more the newer/ younger guys that tend to go harder than they need too. Ego is an issue as well. Just tap early and often. You’ll definitely gets bumps and bruises, but you’ll love every minute of it!

2. Cost is also a big issue now, especially with bjj getting as popular as it has, and especially in SoCal. Some of the big competition schools will charge an arm and a leg, but if you’re looking for more of a “hobbyist” school, you should be able to find something more reasonable. But it’ll definitely more than a 24 hour Fitness Membership. If cost is a true issue, Judo is a great substitute. Much lower cost, and most of the techniques are very similar. I do feel like it’s much more difficult for us middle aged folks to get started in. Much more impacts to the body, more chances for injury, in my opinion.

I think bjj is a great choice though.

There is Brazilian jiu Jitsu clubs catering to an older audience, a lot of karate clubs my look cool but often times are mcdojos which is fine but not so good if you want to learn a martial art. I’ve trained at club with many 45-50 year olds ranging from white to black belt. Try different clubs and see if you like the general vibe and art or not.

Hello everyone -

What are all of your thoughts regarding beginning martial arts as a middle age adult? Honestly, I'm not particularly concerned about self defense. It's more just enjoyment of training and physical development. I also would love to be part of an art that has strong sparring, and hopefully tournaments. But, I also want to minimize risk of injury. I am getting closer to 50 than not and am not really interested in getting hit in the head over and over, or putting myself in a position to be hurt.

Any thoughts?

And, bonus question - if any of you have recommendation for the southern california area, i would love to hear them.

There is a goju-ryu school not to far from me. It seems like the kykoshin dojo near me is no longer holding classes. A few shotokan schools. A slew of MMA/jujitsu places....
I'm looking for kickboxing shorts with the split on the outside leg, or a large cutout in the same area. Similar to those shown below on Holzken. Karapetyan-vs-Holzken.jpg I prefer them longer than thai shorts with no thai writing on the front. I've been using a few pairs of grappling shorts for training as they have the same cuts, but id prefer some with a proper elastic waist . I find this kind of short doesnt catch on my thinh as often as normal ones do and they allow me to kick more freely. If anyone knows where shorts like these are available let me know. On another note, what type of shorts do you wear? Have you ever had the problem of shorts being restrictive on high kicks? If so how did you fix it?

Hello everyone -

What are all of your thoughts regarding beginning martial arts as a middle age adult? Honestly, I'm not particularly concerned about self defense. It's more just enjoyment of training and physical development. I also would love to be part of an art that has strong sparring, and hopefully tournaments. But, I also want to minimize risk of injury. I am getting closer to 50 than not and am not really interested in getting hit in the head over and over, or putting myself in a position to be hurt.

Any thoughts?

And, bonus question - if any of you have recommendation for the southern california area, i would love to hear them.

There is a goju-ryu school not to far from me. It seems like the kykoshin dojo near me is no longer holding classes. A few shotokan schools. A slew of MMA/jujitsu places....
Go nuts, just be smart about it. I'm 53 and leaving for BJJ in a few minutes. I would spend some time figuring which art is best for you, it will be a benefit both physically and mentally for you.

No one ever said “ I wish I never started xxxxxmartial artsxxx” or “ wish I started later in life” . Injuries happen in all sports, just be humble, find the right training environment (teacher, location, cleanliness, fellow students)

I started in BJJ at 43, I’m 45 now, a blue belt and am competing every 3 to 4 months.

Like everyone said, go for it but find what you enjoy and most importantly a good school.

We have a ton of guys in their early 20’s who are blue or purple belts and I roll with them all the time. I just let them know before if I’m a bit beat up that day and ask them to match my pace. If they want a real hard roll I tell them they should probably go with someone else.

Good luck!

I did half a year of Shotokan at ~28, really liked it. Decided then to try BJJ for a half year, liked it even more. Then COVID came and I haven't had a chance to go back yet due to some other commitments.
I really value martial arts though. You may have to get over the Kramer-in-the-class-with-kids feeling, but if you can get past it, do it.

We have a ton of guys in their early 20’s who are blue or purple belts and I roll with them all the time. I just let them know before if I’m a bit beat up that day and ask them to match my pace. If they want a real hard roll I tell them they should probably go with someone else.
Solid advice. Communication with your training partners is always the best move.

Having a good teacher who can help you to work on your physical parameters as well as the skill aspects is very important. Someone, who won't push and force you so hard that you have to take time off due to an injury from flexibility, work, solo work or in sparring. Ensure that you have good recovery between training sessions (ie don't do too much) and perhaps have a very short daily routine to help with flexibility and strength. Unless you have skills in physical training get help from a good teacher regarding a simple program for those days you don't train at your school.
Other than, "just go for it," I second this advice. It will take some shopping around perhaps, but it's important that the instructors aren't just there to crush you.

Other than that, the movement variability and body control alone are worth it as you age. I haven't done martial arts in decades now (stopped in my early twenties, I am nearly 41 now) but every time I include movement that's not essentially some variation of linear squat, press, hinge, I feel a lot better. Sure, life has plenty of getting up off the floor, standing up and down, picking things up, and reaching for stuff, but a lot of it doesn't happen in as controlled an environment as in the weight room. As we age, we want to maintain as many movement options as possible, and martial arts are a great way to do that.

I started in BJJ at 43, I’m 45 now, a blue belt and am competing every 3 to 4 months.

Like everyone said, go for it but find what you enjoy and most importantly a good school.

Good luck!
Same here. I will only really get after it once or twice a week. The remaining days I will Flo roll or I will just play defense the entire time. I will let them know that before hand so they can find someone else to play with if they want.

Hello everyone -

Any thoughts?

Beware: This response is an opinion piece and is probably worth about what you paid for it.

My family was military and moved around a lot when I was a boy. Changing schools at mid-year meant that whatever school it was, I would be confronted by an already well-established pecking order. The quick answer to establishing one's position was through after-school fights. One afternoon in 1956 I returned home looking somewhat bedraggled. My father took one glance, announced that he was "becoming tired of his son coming home like this" and decided that (i) since Sgt. Brown had just returned from three years of Air Force sponsored Karate and Judo instruction at the Kodokan, and that (ii) he had black belts in both arts (something Godawful rare back in those days) , and that (iii) "Brownie" had just started teaching judo -- no karate-- to Air Force boys, therefore his son (iv) was going to study Judo. As a 12 year old lad , I had long since learned to not back-talk my father once he got the bit in his teeth. So study I did. And I've been studying something or other ever since.

This is what I think I've learned.

Unarmed martial arts come in three fundamental forms: Grappling, Boxing, and Joint Work. In the Grand Scheme of Things, grappling defeats boxing. Boxing defeats joint work, and joint work defeats grappling. Not every time, perhaps, but that's the way to bet. Confirmation is available at any MMA tournament, where the rounds may start with boxing, but quickly devolve into grappling and, occasionally, to a bit of joint work.

Getting (or not getting) hit in the head "over and over" depends on the art chosen. If you don't want to get hit in the head, don't study boxing.

I am not ready to proclaim all arts are equal, but it is true that good martial arts can be found in many forms. You might find satisfaction in grappling. The functional difference between boxing and grappling is the number of opponents reasonably accommodated. Wrestling can be a beautiful thing when there is a single attacker. It is, however, difficult to grapple two or three or four opponents simultaneously with much hope of success. (Note: the School Solution is to fight multiple attackers one at a time, That is not white belt stuff.) Nonetheless, the grappling arts, if those are what you ultimately chose, usually don't incorporate a lot of strikes. The point is, if you wrestle you probably will be struck less often than if you boxed.

You specifically mentioned sparring and tournaments. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is strong in both areas. You asked about SoCal sources, and the Gracie guys in West Los Angeles might be worth a meeting. If they are too far away, you might consider the Malchado Brothers in Pasadena.

In terms of aging seniors beginning martial arts training, I began my current studies in 1998 at the age of 54.

I hope you find these notes useful, and wish you the best of luck in your explorations.

Last edited:
Hello everyone -

Any thoughts?

The Karate Dojos I've joined in the past were always pretty good if you're looking to minimize injury risk. Usually only light headshots with headgear but the focus was always Kata in the three I'd been too.

I was 48 when I went back to a competitive amateur boxing gym and ended with 21 amateur bouts totally injury free luckily.

Where most of my injuries happend was in Judo which I did for decades so its not suprising but any grappling sport seemed to get me hurt.

Back
Top Bottom