all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Training with sprained wrist

TomP30

Level 3 Valued Member
So a few weeks ago I injured my right wrist, twisted it hard. At the time I gave it a couple of days rest and then carried on in my routine, albeit paying some care to not overload it. It felt tender but it wasn’t until I started upping the weight on the TGU that it started giving me pain again, and yesterday morning I woke with the wrist in a high level of discomfort. I saw my local pharmacist who observed it was quite swollen, he sold me a wrist support and advised a couple of weeks rest minimum. I’m no good at rest, so my question is this: Aside from one arm swing and Long Cycle, what kettlebell exercises would you recommend during this period of recovery, and which might still involve some cross body benefits?

So a few weeks ago I injured my right wrist, twisted it hard. At the time I gave it a couple of days rest and then carried on in my routine, albeit paying some care to not overload it. It felt tender but it wasn’t until I started upping the weight on the TGU that it started giving me pain again, and yesterday morning I woke with the wrist in a high level of discomfort. I saw my local pharmacist who observed it was quite swollen, he sold me a wrist support and advised a couple of weeks rest minimum. I’m no good at rest, so my question is this: Aside from one arm swing and Long Cycle, what kettlebell exercises would you recommend during this period of recovery, and which might still involve some cross body benefits?
Running, IC on your left side, wall sits, planks, dead bugs, stir the pots, could try some farmers.
Maybe focus on wheels for a few weeks.

Adding onto Don Fairbanks' plank suggestion, they can be made incredibly difficult depending on the shoulder angle. Don't forget you can do one elbow one foot front planks, side planks, and even one elbow one heel reverse planks to work your upper body very well. Planks are not just for abs when you have your arms at severe angles.

I went through a training hiccup with a shoulder strain and it was not fun. But I learned to swing and clean like mad since those didn't upset the problem. Planks may be your ticket.

By the fact that you even typed "Long Cycle" I will bet that is where you probably want your strength focus to be. You need a wrist for that though. Instead of focusing on strength with these isometrics a hypertrophy plan might be nice, with its schedule to end exactly when you plan to train your wrist again. With isometrics, a total of about 200 seconds a week, broken up however you like, may help program each plank you want to use. If you put more muscles on the rest of your body you may be better able to strengthen them faster when your wrist is ready.

Yeah, wrist is one of those things that can be a nagging chronic issue if you don't treat it right. Give it a week at least and then take things slow. I like the suggestion for carries as long as it's not aggravating things (and I'm assuming that presses bother it more). After some rest, you might find that finger/hand extensor work helps, and some wrist roller variations (twist yo' wrist, etc) might help too.

Yeah, wrist is one of those things that can be a nagging chronic issue if you don't treat it right. Give it a week at least and then take things slow. I like the suggestion for carries as long as it's not aggravating things (and I'm assuming that presses bother it more). After some rest, you might find that finger/hand extensor work helps, and some wrist roller variations (twist yo' wrist, etc) might help too.
Yep, presses have been the biggest aggravator since the initial injury. I’m definitely going to maintain a focus on hand extensor work once I’m fit; I really don’t like asparagus, but actually bought some over the weekend just for the bands. I’ll eat the asparagus all the same, waste not want not!

Yep, presses have been the biggest aggravator since the initial injury. I’m definitely going to maintain a focus on hand extensor work once I’m fit; I really don’t like asparagus, but actually bought some over the weekend just for the bands. I’ll eat the asparagus all the same, waste not want not!
Try it parboiled and then griddled with a drizzle of butter to serve.

Thanks for the shout out. Yup, loaded carries. My doctor said I would never use my left wrist for lifting or really anything. Two surgeries...but I carried, dragged sleds, ran hills, carried with sleds...you name it. Then: the best years of my athletic career. People thought I was using drugs (I don't)...it was the carries. My little pic here is just a few years after...

Here is an interesting option.

Back
Top Bottom