all posts post new thread

Barbell Question for those who've done mock meets in teh gymz.

How many days should I rest before I do my mock meet?

Votes: 3 37.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Do it tomorrow you @$&&%!

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Personally, when I go for a real max (mock meet would count) I really go for it. I train hard for PL and when I want to know a new max I treat it like a meet. Nothing left. I only do this 3-4 times a year and will use the 3,2,1 0 method to prep for it. Rep maxes are different and I will attempt them whenever but a 1rep max is something to really go after, hard, and seldom
I do the same, also about 3-4 times a year. When I do it I also do a de-load/peaking regimen as if for a real meet. I also do the lifts in order, as if in a real meet, and take about 15-20 minutes between the major lifts (i.e. after I finish my 3rd attempt squat I'll take a 15 minute break before I start warming up for bench, and same before deadlift). The whole deal usually takes me about 3 hours.

That's a different context than 1rm testing on a random Tuesday.

Sure, it's somewhat different, but I'm not sure if the audience knew the difference.

Still, I'm not sure it's that bad. If anything,the typical outfits worn by young women these days make it easier to be a referee than the typical singlet.

If you fail your second attempt of a lift do you get a third attempt? I got 190 for my first attempt on bench but failed 215 and then hit 205 for my 3rd attempt. I can't remember if that would technically be allowed tho. lol

f you fail your second attempt of a lift do you get a third attempt? I got 190 for my first attempt on bench but failed 215 and then hit 205 for my 3rd attempt.
If you fail on a second attempt, you can take a third attempt.

However, the bar weight must remains the same or increase.

Thus, you third attempt would be 215 or higher.

If you missed your third attempt with 215 or higher, you'd be credited with 190.

How many days should I rest before I do my mock meet?

Absurd Poll

This reminds me of the story of aliens who go to a Basketball Game.

They report back what they learned was that playing Basketball makes you tall and sitting in the bleachers makes you short.

The Take Home Message

Taking a Snapshot of something doesn't provide the whole picture.

As someone once said, "The devil is in the details."

This poll provide numbers without any real context.

The Correct Approach...

take different amount of rests for each lift. I try to stop deadlifting heavy 12 days out, fewer days for SQ, yet fewer days for BP. I try to get some light days between the last heavy days and the meet.

Recovery Time

Muscle Groups have different Recovery Time.

1) Deadlift Rest Period

Lower Back Recovery from Deadlifts take longer than the Squat and Bench Press.

Most Powerlifters stop Deadlifting 7-14 day or longer prior to a Meet.

Steve, "Stops Heavy Deadlifting 12 day out".

2) Squat Rest Period

Dr. Fred Hatfield's (Finding The Ideal Training Split!) determined that Squat Recovery takes 5-6 days.

As per Steve, Recovery for the Squat vs Deadlift is "Fewer days for SQ".

3) Bench Press Rest Period

Dr. Fred Hatfield's (Finding The Ideal Training Split!) determined that Bench Press Recovery takes 4 days.

As per Steve, Recovery for the Bench Press vs Deadlift and Squat is "Yet fewer days for BP"

Meet Taper

Prior to a Powerlifting or Olympic Lifting Meet, the Training Volume and Intensity decrease.

Doing so, increases Recovery; ensuring greater Strength and Power: Super Compensation!

Continuing to Train two weeks out from a Meet with too much Volume and Intensity ensures poor performance.

As per Boris...

you can't really get stronger but you could get a lot weaker!

There is no "Could" to it.

Mock Meet

The key in determining how well an individual perform in a Mock Meet is to simulate it as closely as possible to what occurs in competition.

The short answer is to follow the information that Steve provided.

Secondly, there needs to be a 2 Week Taper prior to the Meet.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's pretty much my mentality. It's hard for me to turn that off for regular training as well sometimes. Lol

How long do you think I should take between the different lifts? I have a whole 2 hours if I need it.

Hard to say for sure as every meet I have done has a different pace. A good rule of thumb would be 5 min between similar lifts and 30min in a switch lift. So squat lift 1 5min, lift 2 5min, lift 3 30min,
Bench 1 5min...

Back
Top Bottom