all posts post new thread

Barbell Jay Cutler -- Took Flat Bench Out

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
Interesting perspective.

He's not a powerlifter, so doesn't need to flat barbell bench.

Seems like he decided it wasn't worth the risk vs reward.

From the little I know of his training, he *does* dumbbell bench press and incline bench press.

When I was 15 I bench pressed 80 kilo. Flat Bench press was my favorite exercise. Nevertheless I always had some small aches and pains in connection with this exercises. The pains were mainly in my shoulders and wrists.

Now, being 38, I recently tried flat bench press again and yet again felt how awkward it was for my wrists to lift this straight barbell.

On this background I might suggest that flat bench press has some potential for creating injury even for people who are only moderately strong.

An argument for flat bench press might be the following. In my hometown there are some very strong men in they 40 and 50. They are competing in powerlifting at an European level. BUT, having gotten older they are now no longer competing in squats and deadlifts, only in bench press. From what I have heard they have somewhat damaged their hips by all this heavy lifting. If this is representative of anything at all, you might say that heavy bench press is less dangerous than heavy deadlifting and heavy squats.

I think it is not only the load in barbell lifts that can create injuries, it is also the fact that the barbell is straight and forces the joints into unnatural positions.

I guess it is good to know that if I'm ever that big it makes it more likely I'll tear a pec so flat bench should be out.

I started digging for a couple of minutes about how prevalent the pec tear actually is among natural trainees.

I found a study where they studied surgical treatments for pec ruptures. Interestingly, it had a passage that said: "Anabolic steroids were used by 46 of 48 patients who suffered an injury with the bench press (95.8%). "

Personally, as a natural lifter, I wouldn't worry about it.

Shoulder impingement is inevitable for me, every time I program heavy on flat bench. It can happen on the first rep (yes, that has happened!) or in the fourth week, but it always happens. Dumbbell presses are no problem

I have never had shoulder pain from bench press or shoulder press with BB. But last year I hurt my shoulder on an incline bench machine press and was in pain for nearly two months, barely able to bench press an empty bar for a month. In contrast, I could lift some weight with the KB, barbell shoulder press, and incline bench press. Which led me to the conclusion that in this inflamed state, the body best indicates which exercise places the greatest and most unfavorable burden on the shoulders and potential for injury. Although some people think the incline bench press is safer, it actually has a lot more rotation in the shoulder joint compared to the normal horizontal bench press.
I like bench press and incline bench with dumbbells /with a weight like 8-10 reps or less/, but I find the preparation for the exercise very awkward when I have to pick them up and lift and adjust to the starting position. And after finishing the exercise. I'm uncomfortable asking other members of the gym for help. For now I have no problems with the shoulders from the bench press and the incline bench press with BB and I perform them.

Last edited:
houlder impingement is inevitable for me, every time I program heavy on flat bench. It can happen on the first rep (yes, that has happened!) or in the fourth week, but it always happens. Dumbbell presses are no problem
Post 17 Resolving Shoulder Bench Press Issues

I love dumbbells.

But...

I start to find them unwieldy >30 kg per side for pressing as you have to do some special maneuvers to get them into position.

DB wowing not an issue.
I guess it depends on the lift.

For vertical pressing and any type of row, I find kettlebells way better than dumbbells. The latter, however, are much better for horizontal, incline pressing and curls.

Back
Top Bottom