all posts post new thread

How much should I lift for my local powerlifting meet?

You unrack and bring it down to your chest to wait for the press command.
The other organization did that, as well.

That method worked.

I am not sure why some of the other organization now require a start signal from the top locked out position. I don't see the point.

Last edited:
I just realized that NASA is weird. They don’t have a start command for bench.

You unrack and bring it down to your chest to wait for the press command.
And therefore always important to go to the rules briefing at 8 AM on lifting day if it's your first time in a new federation. Having done only USPA for a while, I don't bother any more.

-S-

i'd think in most open/local meets that would win me first, no?
You just don’t know who’s gonna show up. A 130 lb guy in my area deadlifted well over 600 at a meet.

The best way to approach this is to go for a PR as your real “opponent” is in the mirror. If you happen to place, that’s even better.

The other organization did that, as well.

That method worked.

I am not sure why some of the other organization now require a start signal from the top locked out position. I don't see the point.

The first thing that comes to mind is someone handing off the bar to the lifter and obstructing the view of the head judge. The lifter would have to wait until the hand off person has moved away from view.

The first thing that comes to mind is someone handing off the bar to the lifter and obstructing the view of the head judge. The lifter would have to wait until the hand off person has moved away from view.
Start Press Command Off The Chest

This would mean that the lift does not officially begin until the Press Command from the chest is given.

Thus, it doesn't much matter what going on in the top lock out position.

Most spotter will get out of the way prior to the bar being on the chest.

If they aren't out of the way when the bar is on the chest, No Press Command is given.

if that occurs, the Spotter and Lifter will quickly learn not to block the Head Referee.

It may occur once but I doubt it will be twice.

Last edited:
That is correct. The start lift is from the chest not the top. This avoids a bounce. Having competed there for years I have never had a prolonged press command

And therefore always important to go to the rules briefing at 8 AM on lifting day if it's your first time in a new federation.
Rules Briefing

Novice Lifer need to attend.

However, the Rules Briefing limits the Rules Book's information.

More importantly is to...

Read The Rule Book

Most Veteran Lifters and most Coaches are Unfamiliar with the Rules.

Larry Pacifico, a 9 time World Powerlifting Champion, miss a 10th trip the Worlds because he didn't know one of the Rules.

One instant where lifter bombed out the meet that I Refereed in was because he didn't know the Rule.

He then ask when they had the put that Rule in. My reply was that I wasn't provide with that exact date.

However, it had been in the book when I began Refereeing 5 years ago.

Start Press Command Off The Chest

This would mean that the lift does not officially begin until the Press Command from the chest is given.

Thus, it doesn't much matter what going on in the top lock out position.

Most spotter will get out of the way prior to the bar being on the chest.

If they aren't out of the way when the bar is on the chest, No Press Command is given.

if that occurs, the Spotter and Lifter will quickly learn not to block the Head Referee.

It may occur once but I doubt it will be twice.

In that case, the start command helps the lifter. He doesn't have to guess if the head judge can see or not, he's told by the start command.

Personally, I don't get what the big deal about the start command is. One should be able to comfortably hold a PR load with fully extended arms.

Back
Top Bottom