all posts post new thread

How much should I lift for my local powerlifting meet?

mage

Level 1 Valued Member
I'd (Male, 28) like to place at least 3rd in a bench meet but how realistic is it to do so? I'm doing USAPL in the 82.5kg/181lbs category. I'm 79kg/175.5lbs right now. My bench is 285lbs I have 12 weeks to increase this. What do you think, is it competitive? What do you recommend I do?

I'd (Male, 28) like to place at least 3rd in a bench meet but how realistic is it to do so?
We don't know, and you don't know, and no one can really know except by knowing who your competition in the meet is going to be and what their numbers have been recently.

I'm doing USAPL in the 82.5kg/181lbs category. I'm 79kg/175.5lbs right now.
OK.

My bench is 285lbs I have 12 weeks to increase this. What do you think, is it competitive? What do you recommend I do?
I recommend you look into finding a 12-week program with 8-9 weeks of traditional training followed by 3-4 weeks of peaking, the latter usually involving a reduction in volume and an increase in weight.

For most lifters the recommendation for your opening weight is something you've been able to triple in training or otherwise feel really solid about. You then pick your second attempt based on how you felt about your first attempt, and do the same for your third by basing it on how your second went.

-S-

What do you think, is it competitive?
Entirely depends on who else shows up.

Want to maximize your chances? Pick a meet that doesn't have anyone signed up for it. Pick a category that nobody else competes in. When waiting in line for weigh in, take a look around. Do you see a bunch of super heavies or is it just one huge guy? If it is just one SHW sign up for his weight class. You are guaranteed 2nd place then.
What do you recommend I do?
Do it.

I'd (Male, 28) like to place at least 3rd in a bench meet but how realistic is it to do so? I'm doing USAPL in the 82.5kg/181lbs category. I'm 79kg/175.5lbs right now. My bench is 285lbs I have 12 weeks to increase this. What do you think, is it competitive? What do you recommend I do?
Open bench record for USAPL @ 82.5kg is 218.5kg. 215kg would probably get you at least 3rd.

Folks, since we're throwing around numbers, I'd say that 1.5 x bodyweight is a number than can win a local meet. That would be about 120 kg which is 265 lb. (I would say the same for a 2 x bodyweight squat and a 2.5 x bodyweight deadlift.)

To the OP - please familiarize yourself with your federation's rule since what counts in the gym often involves a bounce off the chest and in most federations, you have to wait for a "press" command after pausing the bar motionless on your chest.

Go here:

and search for

bench press: rules for performance

4.3.6 through 4.3.8, on page 37, is what you need to know.

-S-

We don't know, and you don't know, and no one can really know except by knowing who your competition in the meet is going to be and what their numbers have been recently.

OK.

I recommend you look into finding a 12-week program with 8-9 weeks of traditional training followed by 3-4 weeks of peaking, the latter usually involving a reduction in volume and an increase in weight.

For most lifters the recommendation for your opening weight is something you've been able to triple in training or otherwise feel really solid about. You then pick your second attempt based on how you felt about your first attempt, and do the same for your third by basing it on how your second went.

-S-
So Steve's answer is pretty much all you need. I would only add if you want to get an idea of where you are, look up average numbers at your weight class. 285 is respectable. Elite levels (assuming natural, and at your weight) are in the 350+ lbs range. So, you're looking to add at least 60-70 pounds to your bench in roughly 4 months. Not impossible, but you certainly have some work ahead.

Folks, since we're throwing around numbers, I'd say that 1.5 x bodyweight is a number than can win a local meet. That would be about 120 kg which is 265 lb. (I would say the same for a 2 x bodyweight squat and a 2.5 x bodyweight deadlift.)

To the OP - please familiarize yourself with your federation's rule since what counts in the gym often involves a bounce off the chest and in most federations, you have to wait for a "press" command after pausing the bar motionless on your chest.

Go here:

and search for

bench press: rules for performance

4.3.6 through 4.3.8, on page 37, is what you need to know.

-S-
proud to say i never bounce the bench off my chest. Been practicing that pause/press command. I'm at 275 smooth. So hopefully in 12 weeks i can hit 285 easy.

proud to say i never bounce the bench off my chest. Been practicing that pause/press command. I'm at 275 smooth. So hopefully in 12 weeks i can hit 285 easy.
Still - be sure you know the order:

Unrack (with or without help)

Wait for Start Command

Lower

Wait for Press Command

Press to full elbow extension

Wait for Rack Command

Rack the bar.

-S-

Haha my first meet there was a guy deadlifting 830lbs no belt.

It was a local meet in a hodunk town. You never know who’s showing up
yeah same here my first meet (which's not on openpwl because it's amature) there're a u74 kg who pulls 270 kg covent, a 260 kg squat at u83, and a 150 kg bench press.

Do the 3,2,1,0 meet prep from Kabuki. This will give you a very good guide as to what numbers you should be able to hit. It's a short 4 week prep and so doesn't dig into training time much. With regards to what it is going to take to at least place third, Steve is correct in that it will depend on who comes to the meet. My best advice is not to invest time into training to "at least place 3rd." If you are going to put time, energy, and money I to training get in the mindset of going there and killing it. Go for first place in everything. The mental mindset is soooo important for PL meets. Get crazy

proud to say i never bounce the bench off my chest.
Touch and Go Bench Training

Performing a Touch and Go Bench in training has a place in developing Strength in it.

It elicits and develops the Stretch Reflex that has carryover to the Bench Press to a degree in a Paused Bench Press. That based on research by Dr. Tom McLaughlin (PhD BioMechanincs/former Powerlifter). Some of McLaughlin's research has been posted on this forum.

Thus, some of your Bench Press Training needs to be performed with a Touch and Go.
like to place at least 3rd in a bench meet but how realistic is it to do so
Unrealistic

you don't know, and no one can really know except by knowing who your competition in the meet is going to be and what their numbers have been recently.

Entirely depends on who else shows up.

As Steve and Silveraw said, without knowing who your competition is and being familiar with what they can do, you don't know.

That's the reality of it.

If possible, what you should do is...

Scouting The Competition

If you can find some information on previous meet results in your area, it will provide you with a what your competition may be.

Last edited:
i'd think in most open/local meets that would win me first, no?
Definitely. Unless a couple of guys in your division show up and do more than 315. Then you’re looking at a third place finish.

To explain: Based on the timeline you gave for prep and your description of the meet (USAPL, bench only), I made a wild guess as to the meet you’ll be attending. I then looked for results from a similar meet in the area the year before. If I’m interpreting these results correctly (which, maybe not) 315 would’ve put you about 10 pounds shy of the third best bench in your weight class at this meet: Lifting Database

Still, I have a hunch that 315 is going to do it for you.

Contradiction

You stated Steve is correct, as I did.

Then you contraction that information by training to "At least to place 3" without knowing what it will take.

The Best Advice

Try to set a Personal Record.

Enjoy the experience and learn from it.
Hmmm.. strange

Back
Top Bottom