all posts post new thread

Think I finally figured out my deadlift!!!

theck4291

Level 2 Valued Member
God, this took FOREVER, but I think I finally have my technique down. This is 395 x 2. So this is after my entire deadlift day workout, followed by reviewing my footage, getting some advice, and rewarming up with 275 x 3 then 395 x 2. Let me know what you guys think!!

Oh, and @metaldrummer here's my current squat PR. Let me know if I got deep enough.... I know mobility was a question in the past. 482lbs - paused :)

DL looks good, don't lean back excessively at the top, though, just push your hips through and you're good.

SQ depth - if yes, then barely. Ideal squat depth judging video angle is straight to the side and knee high.

-S-

Th
God, this took FOREVER, but I think I finally have my technique down. This is 395 x 2. So this is after my entire deadlift day workout, followed by reviewing my footage, getting some advice, and rewarming up with 275 x 3 then 395 x 2. Let me know what you guys think!!

Oh, and @metaldrummer here's my current squat PR. Let me know if I got deep enough.... I know mobility was a question in the past. 482lbs - paused :)

Thanks for sharing, I like your outdoor gym and enthusiasm.

DL looks good, don't lean back excessively at the top, though, just push your hips through and you're good.

SQ depth - if yes, then barely. Ideal squat depth judging video angle is straight to the side and knee high.

-S-
I will take another from the side when I get to that weight again. I know my depth is good on everything up to 435, and this was a PR video, so I wanted to make sure that I went deep enough. It sure felt that way when I did it, and I even paused and kind of pushed myself deeper to make sure I was deep enough. I don't think the angle does me justice on the depth.

I don't think the angle does me justice on the depth.
Honestly it looks like you go about an inch below parallel. I think it was handled well. On your first deadlift rep, your legs push the bar in front of you a bit. Did you feel good on that first rep?

I don't think the angle does me justice on the depth.
I couldn't say from the camera angle. Meet judges sit directly to the side and that's how I've learned to evaluate squat depth, too.

-S-

Nice work on both the squat and DL. Only comment on DL is you start with hips pretty low and also I think you lock out knees a little early. Squat looks good. Man, I don't know how you can do it with bare feet on uneven ground, though. That would totally throw me off but I guess if you're used to it then more power to ya!

I will take another from the side when I get to that weight again. I know my depth is good on everything up to 435, and this was a PR video, so I wanted to make sure that I went deep enough. It sure felt that way when I did it, and I even paused and kind of pushed myself deeper to make sure I was deep enough. I don't think the angle does me justice on the depth.
If you are unsure, working touch and go box squats might help. If you are finding you are resting on the box too much, use a piece of foam for just the physical feedback with no support.

To be fully honest, I'm 100% positive it was a good squat. I was just trying to be civil and respectful with replies above, but I am positive my squat is deep enough. I only added it to point out to metaldrummer about my "lack of mobility" god, I'm kind of a little bitch, but that comment really stuck with me lol.

I'll make sure to do a side view when I attempt 500 at the end of this cycle.

Great looking squat. I would still suggest working on your deadlift - hips more back, less hips down. You’re basically squatting it up. Look at where you are when the bar breaks:

IMG_6012.png
IMG_6013.png

Obviously you are strong and are able to make your squat-deadlift work, but I think you are leaving a LOT on the table doing it this way.

I would still suggest working on your deadlift - hips more back, less hips down. You’re basically squatting it up. Look at where you are when the bar breaks:
I think I'll disagree. He does have somewhat of a dynamic start, so his hips are low, but when the bar breaks the ground he's in a solid position and comes to extension smoothly. Anthropometry makes it look a bit different -- shorter femurs than most, perhaps, relative to torso? (good for squatters!) But all in all I think his deadlift position is good. Maybe someone else will weigh in relative to that.

don't lean back excessively at the top, though, just push your hips through and you're good.
Agree

Thanks for sharing, I like your outdoor gym and enthusiasm.
Agree!

I think I'll disagree. He does have somewhat of a dynamic start, so his hips are low, but when the bar breaks the ground he's in a solid position and comes to extension smoothly. Anthropometry makes it look a bit different -- shorter femurs than most, perhaps, relative to torso? (good for squatters!) But all in all I think his deadlift position is good. Maybe someone else will weigh in relative to that.
I confess to be still working on this myself. @John K, I'm going to agree with @Anna C here - a lot of people deadlift like this and while it isn't what we teach, it's not terrible because when the body reaches the right position, the bar will start to come off the ground. My personal history here is that I tend to go the other way, with my hips too high at the start and my shoulders in front of the bar, and I use my lats to keep the bar close. IOW, when the bar breaks the ground, I haven't been in the best position. I've been working on my wedge but it's not there yet. IOW, for me, you're both right - what @John K suggests would be best, but what he's doing is what a lot of people, including some very strong ones, do with success.

-S-

Maybe. I think he looks like he is in what I'd call a "clean deadlift" - the same position you'd be in a clean - or even what you see a lot when people trap bar deadlift - hips low, knees forward - because the bar isn't in the way. But, like you said, maybe his anthropometry are such that this is the best position for him. You have a good coaches eye and so might be seeing his proportions better than me.

Maybe. I think he looks like he is in what I'd call a "clean deadlift" - the same position you'd be in a clean - or even what you see a lot when people trap bar deadlift - hips low, knees forward - because the bar isn't in the way.
This was my thought too, though I didn't have the right words to say it. When I first started deadlifting, I was coming from an olympic lifts background, and I set up just like that - worse, even. I ended up getting myself into trouble (i.e. hurt) because my knees were always too far forward.

@theck4291 doesn't look near as bad as I did, though - just keep an eye on keeping the shins nicely vertical, that was a cue that worked well for me.

Thank you all for engaging and discussing. I really appreciate it. @Anna C yes, i have itty bitty legs... im 5ft10, but my 5ft1 wife and i have hips that match each other to a tee. Its like I was meant to be 6ft2,but my legs quit growing, or I was meant to be 5ft5 and Mt torso overgrew

Looks a lot like the way Ed Coan used to set up his deadlift.

If you lowered your shoulders more, if possible, you could achieve a more efficient position and have more of a hinge at the start of the lift. See Mitch Hooper explain it here:

Note that I mention lowering the shoulders more, not necessarily having the large thoracic spine flexion seen in the Ed Coan video.

Back
Top Bottom