all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Geoff Neupert P3 protocol

Question for those who have been doing P3/SJS/MM.... has anyone else experienced motion sickness-like symptoms induced by the head movement?
I felt uncomfortably dizzy a couple of times - and I just slowed down to a comfortable pace and paused looking in either direction. also, I can get lightheaded from 100% breaths in and out (especially as an experienced Tuba Player)- I tend toward 80% + capacity breaths now, and that seems to work just fine.

@Ben Strong The eyes always lead the movements, so I would focus on moving the eyes first into the direction your head is going to go.

Also, do you have a history of concussions or whiplash injuries?

What's been shown in studies and clinical observations, vertigo or other vestibular symptoms are exacerbated with quicker head movements. One such special test is called the Thrust Test where you literally jerk a person's head to the side quickly once to elicit a response. I'd follow the advise from @Adachi and slow your movements down.

Thanks for the advice! Glad to know I'm at least not the only one. I will try again, but this time focus on the eye movement preceding the head movement and also on slowing down the pace. I wasn't going very fast to begin with but perhaps it was still too much. I will let y'all know if that seems to address it or not.

@JamesPTA I don't know if I would consider myself to have a history as I've never had any major concussions. Nothing that I ever had trouble recovering quickly from after the fact. However, I did play American Football and have done Muay Thai sparring in the past. Both of these activities have likely caused some minor concussions during that time. I have heard that even minor ones can cause issues later in life so.....

Thanks for the advice! Glad to know I'm at least not the only one. I will try again, but this time focus on the eye movement preceding the head movement and also on slowing down the pace. I wasn't going very fast to begin with but perhaps it was still too much. I will let y'all know if that seems to address it or not.

@JamesPTA I don't know if I would consider myself to have a history as I've never had any major concussions. Nothing that I ever had trouble recovering quickly from after the fact. However, I did play American Football and have done Muay Thai sparring in the past. Both of these activities have likely caused some minor concussions during that time. I have heard that even minor ones can cause issues later in life so.....
Someone did post a while back about the same symptoms. If I recall correctly @Geoff Neupert recommended that the movements be slooooowwwed way down.

I also experienced some motion sickness in the beginning. I also got sick in cars up until 18 years old and as a gamer I also got it when playing 1st person games.
Like previous advice: I slowed my movements down and and really focussed on eues first and then the rest of the head. It took a couple of sessions, but I think I also got used to the movements, because I got less motion sickness every time. After about 5 or 6 sessions (2 weeks, because I didn't do it every day) it was completely gone for me.

I fell off the P3-wagon after not receiving what I hope for (helping my hips from shifting, reducing my lower back pain).
But I will give it another chance and restart from the beginning.

I discovered Tom Morrison some months ago and his stuff really helped me, but only to a point. So I try to combine those two systems. P3 to get warm, work on my neck and head control and then Tom Morrison‘s program to move through every part of my body. Those sessions will take some time but I owe this to my body. I still have lower back pain because of my hips shifting and this really sucks!

I fell off the P3-wagon after not receiving what I hope for (helping my hips from shifting, reducing my lower back pain).
But I will give it another chance and restart from the beginning.

I discovered Tom Morrison some months ago and his stuff really helped me, but only to a point. So I try to combine those two systems. P3 to get warm, work on my neck and head control and then Tom Morrison‘s program to move through every part of my body. Those sessions will take some time but I owe this to my body. I still have lower back pain because of my hips shifting and this really sucks!
@Xene - How far along did you get?

Did you complete Phase 1?

And if so, how about the other phases?

@Xene - How far along did you get?

Did you complete Phase 1?

And if so, how about the other phases?
I started in the beginning of last September and did it until mid December where I cought a pretty tough flu which set me off for several weeks. I never restarted after it.

At this time I was in the middle of Phase 2 after completing Phase 1.
Yesterday I restarted with Phase 1 and had to realize that I just can‘t knock out all dead bugs etc. So there is where I will restart.

Hey @Geoff Neupert
See if you can explain this one. P3 is giving me relief from my haemorrhoids. I recently went through the procedure of haemorrhoid banding which has been extremely uncomfortable & painful in recovery. Can’t do much in the way of exercise atm, but eased back into P3. Seems to relieve the pressure & pain. Concentrating on sucking in pelvic floor on out breathe dunno if that’s it. But pain goes from a 8 out of 10, to a 4/5. Eventually rises again, but the temporary relief is very welcome.

I’m in phase 3 just started squat level 2. Wow that’s a challenge! Hitting the prescribed reps feels a little daunting!! Someone tell me they’ve done it and it’s possible!?

I’m in phase 3 just started squat level 2. Wow that’s a challenge! Hitting the prescribed reps feels a little daunting!! Someone tell me they’ve done it and it’s possible!?
It's possible! Just take your time. It always helps me to remember that, 'slow is steady, steady is fast' and I find I'm done with the reps. Keep at it...this is a GAMECHANGER.

It's possible! Just take your time. It always helps me to remember that, 'slow is steady, steady is fast' and I find I'm done with the reps. Keep at it...this is a GAMECHANGER.

I didn’t hit all the reps. But yes the level 2 is a tough one.
Cheers both! Will persevere and not rush. I feel like level 3 will be easier, but this program has been working great for me so far so worth putting in the time.

In regards to squat level 2, its interesting, when I first get into the position it feels really challenging and I think how I am going to manage this, but as I do the breaths, and particularly the head control, I kind of settle into the position and it feels more stable and easier to the point that at the end of the reps I feel like I could probably do more! Also found spreading the feet slightly wider helps.

One month in. Have done the protocol almost daily. It’s working better than any restoration work I’ve done before. I’ve even started to tone down my other training to focus more on the program as it’s working so well. Can’t really articulate what’s happening, but it’s definitely bringing my body together.

Still on phase 1. It’s interesting how previous levels of a position seem to work even better once I reach a new level. For example side lying, I am typically doing level 2 but go for level 1 every 3-4 sessions and it feels like it works better and better every time.

Update: I persisted and hit all the targets for squat level 2 and have now finished the program! Has been excellent. Body has felt the best it ever has.

I’m now finding I can actually work towards things like the pancake and forward fold. Previously my body was holding me back and I couldn’t make any progress. Having done p3 my body is happy to let me start to play in these extended ranges. It Feels great!!

Helped me see the difference between restoration work and mobility. Restoration has to come first as the foundation for all movement. With that foundation can train all sorts of patterns and movements ranges and make progress.

Update: I persisted and hit all the targets for squat level 2 and have now finished the program! Has been excellent. Body has felt the best it ever has.

I’m now finding I can actually work towards things like the pancake and forward fold. Previously my body was holding me back and I couldn’t make any progress. Having done p3 my body is happy to let me start to play in these extended ranges. It Feels great!!

Helped me see the difference between restoration work and mobility. Restoration has to come first as the foundation for all movement. With that foundation can train all sorts of patterns and movements ranges and make progress.

Inspirational program adherence! Well done. Glad to hear it. Struggling with the neck nod volume myself. My neck/posture must be really messed up.

Back
Top Bottom