all posts post new thread

This vid was cool but I'm skeptical...

metaldrummer

Level 6 Valued Member
Apparently this guy trained with the same trainer Hafthor uses or has used, but I'm having a hard time believing he's new to this... I mean adding 167lbs to his squat in a little over 3 months? That's like an over 10lb increase every week. That and he seemed to not require much form guidance. Is this guy misrepresenting himself or am I just being jealous of his gainz? lol

Maybe I should start using "The Secret" to attain my powerlifting dreams? Anyone remember that book/movie? I'm picturing myself with a 700lb squat in the 74 weight class... Gonna draw a picture of me doing it and stick it under my pillow later.
That is a great book/movie. My coach in BJJ always recommended for me to visualize myself succeeding in a match. And also visualize the success while saying how successful I would be out loud in an excited manner. I would also write down my goal on a paper and put it where I can see it everyday. Might sound ridiculous to some but I know it works when you really go to work on your goals. I've basically used this for obtaining many goals. Whether its getting an education, a job, a good wife, lifting a new weight, winning a competition, or whatever. There really is magic in believing.

With the proper mindset and a good coach, I'd say it's not unreasonable for a beginner to achieve big results.

I got lucky and got to train with some good folks in my beginning stages, I was doing high rep squats with 110 pounds when I started. In 8 weeks I was using 225. Within the first 10 months I was pulling 405 for sets of 5 at 175 pounds and competed in my first strongman competition at their encouragement. I credit those guys to much of my early progress because it was having a good mindset mixed with a good training approach and hard work.

That is a great book/movie. My coach in BJJ always recommended for me to visualize myself succeeding in a match. And also visualize the success while saying how successful I would be out loud in an excited manner. I would also write down my goal on a paper and put it where I can see it everyday. Might sound ridiculous to some but I know it works when you really go to work on your goals. I've basically used this for obtaining many goals. Whether its getting an education, a job, a good wife, lifting a new weight, winning a competition, or whatever. There really is magic in believing.
Visualizing and goal setting are two valid thing for sure, but The Secret is full of so much magical thinking and woo-woo nonsense I can't even start tbh. I mean am I really supposed to believe that people get cancer because they're having negative thoughts? Good grief.

Visualizing and goal setting are two valid thing for sure, but The Secret is full of so much magical thinking and woo-woo nonsense I can't even start tbh. I mean am I really supposed to believe that people get cancer because they're having negative thoughts? Good grief.
Claude M. Bristol wrote a book titled The Magic of Believing. If you haven't ever read it, I highly recommend it.

I watched it and fell asleep for the entirety of the training and woke up for the meet.

I think there is definitely some underselling on everything, particularly in that the trainer went from one day to coaching the whole program. Just feels as scripted as reality TV.

Positive psychology leads to real actions in the way that WhatWouldHulkDo said. The reverse is also true. People don't loot stores when the negative psychology of a likely arrest and incarceration loom over them.

The thing about The Secret is that, when someone says it produces results, a professional psychologist would call it selection bias. You imagined what you wanted, focused on it to the point you ignored all the times it didn't happen, and the one time you got it the Secret says you caused the outcome so that's the only thing to think about or talk about.

With the Secret's philosophy in mind, it is a tragedy that all those people with cancer just believed in the disease. Don't get me started on the kids in that Ukrainian hospital who believed in missiles a little too much.

I don't think it is that unreasonable. If you read between the lines he took 20 years of GPP and applied 100 days of SPP work.

Admittedly his starting 1RMs were lowballed, as his 5RM were not maxes. He barely slowed down on the last rep.

He also spent 100 days on specific powerlifting technique with a skilled coach and dialed in his nutrition. (Hitting recommended protein goals is like a PED when you are consistent.)

Going from never squatting and guessing a max of 185 to learning how to squat and a max of 352 isn't that unreasonable.
Same with the deadlift going from 256-441.

Putting it another way, he just joined the 1000lb club after training for 20 years.

Looking at my training logs, I've had rapid strength progression when I switched from years of kettlebells to barbell strength training. I think I described it at the time as feeling like cashing in strength potential for strength. I imagine he had a similar experience on a larger level.

Positive psychology leads to real actions in the way that WhatWouldHulkDo said. The reverse is also true. People don't loot stores when the negative psychology of a likely arrest and incarceration loom over them.

The thing about The Secret is that, when someone says it produces results, a professional psychologist would call it selection bias. You imagined what you wanted, focused on it to the point you ignored all the times it didn't happen, and the one time you got it the Secret says you caused the outcome so that's the only thing to think about or talk about.

With the Secret's philosophy in mind, it is a tragedy that all those people with cancer just believed in the disease. Don't get me started on the kids in that Ukrainian hospital who believed in missiles a little too much.

I don't know, plenty of people don't care whether they risk going to jail or not. It's just like a vacation for them. ROFL Otherwise I agree tho. As long as bad things happen to good people I'll never have much faith in organized religion or magical thinking etc. There's no scientific basis for it. Of course positive thought might lead to positive actions or attract positive things and vice versa with negativity, but that's failing to take into account a whole hell of a lot of life is random and based on circumstances and luck. In the end the universe doesn't give a #%&$ about what you think about anything.

I’ve always felt visualization helped a lot with powerlifting. The mind is really the commander in chief of the body. Some books worthy for those who enjoy the psychology of lifting:

Flow - Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Psych - Dr. Judd Biasotto

I must also add I’m a big proponent of the mental aspects of not only training, but life and finding success and happiness in general. As humans, our minds are the greatest aspect we hold authority over in this animal kingdom. The body can only follow what the kind believes it’s capable of.

He was a fit guy with really lowballed 1RM. He got good coaching and stuck to a PL program for over 3 months. I am not surprised by the numbers he finished with just I think he exaggerated his gains a bit by lowballing his starting #s. I would be very curious of the program, would love to try it and report back.

As humans, our minds are the greatest aspect we hold authority over in this animal kingdom. The body can only follow what the kind believes it’s capable of.
It makes me wonder about people who reportedly lift cars off of trapped friends in times of great stress. It is called "hysterical strength."
Someone can have years of GPP as base building to build reasonable powerlifting strength quickly in months. What would it look like to train people to simulate hysterical strength with a barbell? "I took my max from 100lbs to 3000 in one week!"

Someone can have years of GPP as base building to build reasonable powerlifting strength quickly in months. What would it look like to train people to simulate hysterical strength with a barbell? "I took my max from 100lbs to 3000 in one week!"
I know that's kind of a joke... but it is also kind of real. I think one thing competitive athletes definitely learn how to do it call up a jolt of adrenaline when they need it. Might not be lift-a-car strength, but it's a similar concept. To me, that's the difference between a "training max" and a true max - most of us don't want to have to call on adrenaline during day-to-day training.

I know that's kind of a joke... but it is also kind of real. I think one thing competitive athletes definitely learn how to do it call up a jolt of adrenaline when they need it. Might not be lift-a-car strength, but it's a similar concept. To me, that's the difference between a "training max" and a true max - most of us don't want to have to call on adrenaline during day-to-day training.
Eddie Hall talked about the psychological stuff he did for his deadlift working with a psychologist and it was basically envisioning his family was trapped under something and he had to lift it off them to save them. Whether it was tapping into the exact same thing as the people who gain super human strength in actual life or death crisises I don't know but it was probably at least similar. With that said, that's probably not something you'd want to use very often because I'm sure it would tax your mental and physical health pretty bad. Lol

Back
Top Bottom