all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Strength After Sixty

Dan Cenidoza

Level 5 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
We just finished a year long research study with Towson University on my Strength After Sixty program. Amazing results for mostly women in their 70’s training only 2 days a week. Here’s a few slides from a recent presentation as well as a local news story.

If you’re not using kettlebells for your older students, you should be! There is virtually no power training for seniors, and power is the first thing you lose as you age. The kettlebell swing is power training.

We just finished a year long research study with Towson University on my Strength After Sixty program. Amazing results for mostly women in their 70’s training only 2 days a week. Here’s a few slides from a recent presentation as well as a local news story.

If you’re not using kettlebells for your older students, you should be! There is virtually no power training for seniors, and power is the first thing you lose as you age. The kettlebell swing is power training.

Interesting.

I've had doctors tell me KBs are 'dangerous for the back'.

Interesting.

I've had doctors tell me KBs are 'dangerous for the back'.
I don't know if they are dangerous for the back or lower back, but I went back to the barbell. No matter how I warm up, no matter what I do, there is a period when I supposedly feel good /however with a slight discomfort, which for me is tolerable and I hope it will pass with time/ and finally it starts to hurt again in the places indicated in the photo, which I have circled in red. And that's before I've even gotten to the increasing volume of the clean and press program. For example, before I reach the workload of 20KB or 24KB, I go through 8, 12, 16, but it doesn't help. I don't have joint pain, but that doesn't matter. Still, we want to feel good, not progress at the cost of increasing pain.
I have now finally convinced myself that KBs are not my tool. Obviously I'm the exception since I don't see anyone having similar problems, but that's the situation. I may turn them on from time to time, but not run programs designed for KB.

Attachments

• 1427329_nt0JLvNEjAwkhiBHmbRlze95x.jpg
    1427329_nt0JLvNEjAwkhiBHmbRlze95x.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 24
I don't know if they are dangerous for the back or lower back, but I went back to the barbell. No matter how I warm up, no matter what I do, there is a period when I supposedly feel good /however with a slight discomfort, which for me is tolerable and I hope it will pass with time/ and finally it starts to hurt again in the places indicated in the photo, which I have circled in red. And that's before I've even gotten to the increasing volume of the clean and press program. For example, before I reach the workload of 20KB or 24KB, I go through 8, 12, 16, but it doesn't help. I don't have joint pain, but that doesn't matter. Still, we want to feel good, not progress at the cost of increasing pain.
I have now finally convinced myself that KBs are not my tool. Obviously I'm the exception since I don't see anyone having similar problems, but that's the situation. I may turn them on from time to time, but not run programs designed for KB.
Not a Dr but that to me is gripping the KB too tightly. I can get pain in the same places when I grip the tennis racket too tightly.

Also I would check to see it your wrists are straight. Turing them in towards your body could cause pain like this as well.

But sometimes a modality isn’t right for some people. I look at a barbell and my shoulders and back hurts.

Back
Top Bottom