all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Return of the Kettlebell

Adam R Mundorf

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey StrongFirst,

I was reading through return of the kettlebell this afternoon and realized I don't really here about it much. It then led to the question :

Has anyone really achieved the goals in the book? It does have some strange exercises I don't see mentioned much anymore like the Viking push press and front raise Snatches.

Are these still taught or have they been deemed not really worth the time?

Thank you, Adam

I'm also quite interested in experiences or ideas from people that actually ran and completed RoTK, mostly around how they progressed it, as I'm not a fan of programs that call for "add a rep/set when you feel like it" and I prefer stricter/more defined ways of progressing.
I like the alternating grinds and ballistic weeks setup. VPP is an amazing lift (I find it more of a coordination issue than not). Not sure about the weird way of snatching, but starting every double press ladder off a snatch rather than a clean is interesting indeed. And I do tend to favour doubles work over singles.

We must be connected because I re-read it too, 2 days ago.
I read some rare testimonies, stating that the program was really hard and needed a lot of recovery. Pavel does not hide the high demand of ROTK and says clearly that one should not practice any sport at the same time.
Still, the 2-week shift is appealing.

Hey StrongFirst,

I was reading through return of the kettlebell this afternoon and realized I don't really hear about it much. …

Has anyone really achieved the goals in the book? …
I did it for a while shortly after it came out. It was as part of a small group of us who were training in my basement gym, but then some people’s schedules changed, the group stopped meeting and I never got back to the program.

-S-

Hey StrongFirst,

I was reading through return of the kettlebell this afternoon and realized I don't really here about it much. It then led to the question :

Has anyone really achieved the goals in the book? It does have some strange exercises I don't see mentioned much anymore like the Viking push press and front raise Snatches.

Thank you, Adam
I have done it a few rounds.
First time:
LC C&J 2x32 kg 16 reps @70-75kg
Back then did bot have access to two 40kg kettlebells. But could do 5x1,2,3,4,5 with 2x32 (smatch to get them up)

Third time a few years later i did it after a strongman prep when cutting weight. But with 2x40kg for the presses (I am not snatching that). Got to 3x1,2,3,4,5 before changing program (to another strongman -prep if i remember correctly)

My progression attached only heavy days.

Edit: wrote wrong numbers on the push, it's supposedly to be jerks... And double the reps. I.e. 3x2,4,6 week 1.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240702-153730.png
    Screenshot_20240702-153730.png
    110 KB · Views: 21
Hey StrongFirst,

Thank you, Adam
Ran it before..

Managed to get the bodyweight press.. but didn't get the clean and jerk standard

"I finished ROTK and have run it twice." Said no one ever. I ran it for a little bit. Got dinged up in week 5 or 6, dropped it like 3rd period French. I think for 4 weeks it would be a great program. It's just too much volume.

Not that I was "qualified" to run it. Maxed out my ROP at 79 lb. and 165 snatches.

Back
Top Bottom