all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Q&D 033 with snatches and pushups

Tom7

Level 4 Valued Member
Have anyone replaced 033 swings with snatches, combining snatch and pushups as it written in protocol 033?
Do you see any difficulties to do so?

Have anyone replaced 033 swings with snatches, combining snatch and pushups as it written in protocol 033?
I haven't tried snatches and push-ups together yet but when I did start doing Q&D with snatches back during all the Covid fun I was running just snatches using 033. I found that 044 was way too much rest for me so I used 033. It's fine until you get to round 5-6, then you start to breath fire when using either 2/10 or 4/5.

Your idea does sound very doable as long as the number of weekly sessions is limited to 2-3 a week to prevent over working the shoulders.

I haven't tried snatches and push-ups together yet but when I did start doing Q&D with snatches back during all the Covid fun I was running just snatches using 033. I found that 044 was way too much rest for me so I used 033. It's fine until you get to round 5-6, then you start to breath fire when using either 2/10 or 4/5.

Your idea does sound very doable as long as the number of weekly sessions is limited to 2-3 a week to prevent over working the shoulders.
If you done 033 with the snatch, then what exercise did you alternate it with?

If you done 033 with the snatch, then what exercise did you alternate it with?
Nothing. I had 2-3 days a week of Q&D 033 2/10 with the snatch @24. I did goblet squats and the ab roller as a warm up. The remaining days I did a 3-5 mile walk with weights some days and non weighted the rest. I really like minimalist programs so just snatches was just fine.

I have done it a few times, but not on a regular basis. To talk about benefits etc, I think I should use it on a regular base.

Sometimes I also combine it with running. During the 2 minutes rest I run 200 m and ramaining time was rest. This was easy running.

I've tried it with snatches and power pushup, and with double cleans and power pushups. I would not recommend it.

I have done a lot of 044 snatching, and separate 044 power pushups (each exercise in a separate session or on a separate day), and it's one of my favorite protocols, but I just don't think snatches and pushups play well together when combined.

Snatches or double cleans and power pushups was just too much local muscular fatigue in the delts and triceps. The pushups didn't affect the snatches so much, but the snatches significantly reduced my ability to maintain power in the power pushups. However, in terms of breathing and heart rate, the recovery was easier alternating exercises.

If you can do it, I would question whether you are going heavy enough or being powerful enough or using a high enough cadence on your snatches, and/or whether you are doing the pushups with adequate power and/or adequate resistance. Power pushups should be a free fall down ("playing chicken with the floor") and exploding up, with elbows tucked in. I try to keep my sets to 9 or 10 seconds (10/2). If it takes me 11 seconds for two sets in a row, I'm done for the day. If you can easily and consistently crank out 9 second sets for 5 or 6 series, it's time to add resistance.

There's also no way I could do 033 timing with just snatches. If I could, I'd know my bell is too light or I'm holding back too much. If you feel like 044 is too much rest with snatches, go heavier or increase the reps higher than 10/2, such as 15/2 (yes, this option is in the book). After two series of 15/2 with a suitably heavy bell, you will be sucking wind through every hole you can get it in, and be thanking Pavel for that extra minute of rest before series 3, if you're not already tapping out at that point.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom