all posts post new thread

Need a specific stretch.

Paul Tarini

Level 4 Valued Member
I need a specific Stretch. After years of driving a hundred miles a day, I find it hard to straighten my legs when doing a dead bug. By straight, I mean knee not bent, heel to the ceiling, toes pulled down to floor...also leg close to 90 degrees from floor. I can do a deep squat (butt to ground). And I can touch my toes, put my heels flat on floor for downward dog. When doing a bug, i can force my legs straight but it's not pretty. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I need a specific Stretch. After years of driving a hundred miles a day, I find it hard to straighten my legs when doing a dead bug. By straight, I mean knee not bent, heel to the ceiling, toes pulled down to floor...also leg close to 90 degrees from floor. I can do a deep squat (butt to ground). And I can touch my toes, put my heels flat on floor for downward dog. When doing a bug, i can force my legs straight but it's not pretty. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Likely a strength thing as well, try some of these progressions.

I find it hard to straighten my legs when doing a dead bug. By straight, I mean knee not bent, heel to the ceiling, toes pulled down to floor...also leg close to 90 degrees from floor.
IMO, this isn't necessarily a problem.

Geoff Neupert, who is huge proponent of dead bugs, always demonstrates them with bent knees, and this is how I always do them. Note, I am not referring to bent knees as in bent at 90 degrees as a regression. I am referring to full dead bugs, with the legs relatively straight, but still with soft knees. Aleks Salkin does not demonstrate dead bugs with fully locked knees either.

I was under the same impression regarding dead bugs. I have Sore Joint Solution by Geoff Neupert and it includes the dead bug. While he says you can progress from doing it with bent legs to doing it with straight legs, he never actually says the knees should be locked straight.

There are certainly scenarios for which improving your hamstring and/or calf flexibility may be required. Just not sure dead bug training is one of them.

Last edited:
Personally I can't do what you are describing. Not sure you need to straighten the leg to the ceiling for the dead bugs to be effective.

If you just need to stretch your hamstring and calves, might I suggest getting a stretching band, wrapping it around your toes and using that resistance to stretch your leg straight and stretch the hamstring/calf?

I thought the normal deadbug had bent knees?

That's how I've also done it.

I thought the normal deadbug had bent knees?

That's how I've also done it.
I have a memory of a Neupert tutorial in which he said over time, you should aim to straighten your legs. When I force a straight leg, I get an additional stretch in the hamstrings, it makes me have to keep my back more rigid, and it seems my abs fire even more. All are things that are desirable, I am thinking.

I have a memory of a Neupert tutorial in which he said over time, you should aim to straighten your legs. When I force a straight leg, I get an additional stretch in the hamstrings, it makes me have to keep my back more rigid, and it seems my abs fire even more. All are things that are desirable, I am thinking.

Oh, you mean straighten leg on the 'thrust' parallel to the floor?

Sure.

I thought you meant when your legs were in the air.

The tutorial is for the easy muscle. The beginner tutorial starts with knees bent. The advanced tutorial begins with both arms and legs straight.
That picture shows "straight" legs, but with soft knees, not locked knees.

When I force a straight leg, I get an additional stretch in the hamstrings, it makes me have to keep my back more rigid, and it seems my abs fire even more. All are things that are desirable, I am thinking.
IMO, those things are not necessarily desirable, and are actually undesirable.

IMO, the big value of dead bugs is as a reflexive strength drill. Original Strength uses the definition of reflexive strength as "the body’s ability to anticipate, prepare, and respond to movement before and as it happens." In other words, it's patterns of muscle firing and relaxation that happen reflexively and subconsciously to facilitate movement and maintain stability during movement.

It's the opposite of (and complementary to) high tension conventional strength training where you are training the ability to consciously generate maximum tension. Doing a lot of aggressive bracing and generating high tension against high resistance is great for developing strength and building muscle. But it can lead to disrupting reflexive subconscious muscle firing patterns and creating spurious and excessive (and potentially painful) chronic tension when you don't need it.

You want reflexive strength drills, and most other mobility work for that matter (with exceptions for some specific techniques), to be relatively low load, low tension and low threat. The idea isn't to make the drill as hard as possible, but to keep it within a comfortable range. It's training the nervous system and neuromuscular connections and patterns more than pure muscular training.

Yes, in the Dead Bugs Explanation video, Geoff does say to make your knees as straight as you can... but... at 4:30 into the video he also says the knee of the leg in the air should be little closer to the chest than the hip. This is more easily accomplished with soft knee, compared to locking out the knee.

If you don't allow the knee (leg in the air) to be past the hip, the pelvis may be pulled out of neutral and the psoas and low back may be subjected to more strain.

That picture shows "straight" legs, but with soft knees, not locked knees.

IMO, those things are not necessarily desirable, and are actually undesirable.

IMO, the big value of dead bugs is as a reflexive strength drill. Original Strength uses the definition of reflexive strength as "the body’s ability to anticipate, prepare, and respond to movement before and as it happens." In other words, it's patterns of muscle firing and relaxation that happen reflexively and subconsciously to facilitate movement and maintain stability during movement.

It's the opposite of (and complementary to) high tension conventional strength training where you are training the ability to consciously generate maximum tension. Doing a lot of aggressive bracing and generating high tension against high resistance is great for developing strength and building muscle. But it can lead to disrupting reflexive subconscious muscle firing patterns and creating spurious and excessive (and potentially painful) chronic tension when you don't need it.

You want reflexive strength drills, and most other mobility work for that matter (with exceptions for some specific techniques), to be relatively low load, low tension and low threat. The idea isn't to make the drill as hard as possible, but to keep it within a comfortable range. It's training the nervous system and neuromuscular connections and patterns more than pure muscular training.
Thank you for taking the time to write this up. I will need to think on it. I have not read OS, so these ideas are new to me.

Back
Top Bottom