all posts post new thread

HR - Can you deduce what my training session actually was?

JPCross

Level 6 Valued Member
Over the last several years, HR has really become in vogue and rightfully so - measuring training using HR, lactate, or other biomarkers to determine physiological response and adaptation to meet certain goals is based in sound science. I typically will pay attention to it to make sure I'm in the ball park of what I want to accomplish, but I don't live and die by it like some. I will look at it a bit more when it comes to trends - if HR is lower than I would think for several sessions in a row, maybe it's time to start pushing a bit hard; if it's elevated, maybe I need to back off a tad or look at diet and sleep to make sure I'm recovering.

One thing I haven't really done much of though is look at HR graphs and try to deduce what the training session actually looked like; meaning, if forum members (or other people elsewhere) post their HR data, they'll post their session with it, so you can really line up what was happening. I thought it might be interesting to post HR data from a 60 mins session but with no real detail or context (I'll make a couple of comments) to see if people can get a feel for what the session actually way just based on the HR data.

Here's the rationale - people seem to really be driven as of late by training by HR. Maybe by looking at HR data, then learning what the session actually was later after really analyzing and hypothesizing what might have been done, and how it might be able to be modified to fit the individual would allow for more options or creativity in training, if that makes sense. I know I get a bit narrow minded or short sighted from time to time so stepping back to look at something from a different perspective has allowed my training to be a bit more fluid and enjoyable.

That said, here's some data I will provide right up front:

- 60:00 session, about 3 hours after waking and fasted besides water/electrolytes.

- Approximately 32oz of water during the session with electrolytes (810mg sodium, 400mg potassium, 60mg calcium, 50mg magnesium).

- Training was in an open garage; temp was 92F at the start of the session; temp was 98F at the end of the session.

- Net weight change was -4lbs over the 60:00; +2lbs from fluids means -6lbs from sweat.

- Thin line shows the avg HR for the entire 60:00: 132bpm.

image0.png

I'm interested to see what people think I actually did for those 60:00 given the HR data and information I provided.

In a couple of days, I will post the session in detail.

Over the last several years, HR has really become in vogue and rightfully so - measuring training using HR, lactate, or other biomarkers to determine physiological response and adaptation to meet certain goals is based in sound science. I typically will pay attention to it to make sure I'm in the ball park of what I want to accomplish, but I don't live and die by it like some. I will look at it a bit more when it comes to trends - if HR is lower than I would think for several sessions in a row, maybe it's time to start pushing a bit hard; if it's elevated, maybe I need to back off a tad or look at diet and sleep to make sure I'm recovering.

One thing I haven't really done much of though is look at HR graphs and try to deduce what the training session actually looked like; meaning, if forum members (or other people elsewhere) post their HR data, they'll post their session with it, so you can really line up what was happening. I thought it might be interesting to post HR data from a 60 mins session but with no real detail or context (I'll make a couple of comments) to see if people can get a feel for what the session actually way just based on the HR data.

Here's the rationale - people seem to really be driven as of late by training by HR. Maybe by looking at HR data, then learning what the session actually was later after really analyzing and hypothesizing what might have been done, and how it might be able to be modified to fit the individual would allow for more options or creativity in training, if that makes sense. I know I get a bit narrow minded or short sighted from time to time so stepping back to look at something from a different perspective has allowed my training to be a bit more fluid and enjoyable.

That said, here's some data I will provide right up front:

- 60:00 session, about 3 hours after waking and fasted besides water/electrolytes.

- Approximately 32oz of water during the session with electrolytes (810mg sodium, 400mg potassium, 60mg calcium, 50mg magnesium).

- Training was in an open garage; temp was 92F at the start of the session; temp was 98F at the end of the session.

- Net weight change was -4lbs over the 60:00; +2lbs from fluids means -6lbs from sweat.

- Thin line shows the avg HR for the entire 60:00: 132bpm.

View attachment 25301

I'm interested to see what people think I actually did for those 60:00 given the HR data and information I provided.

In a couple of days, I will post the session in detail.
30 rounds on the 2:00, could be swings, snatches, or a complex like IC.

30 rounds on the 2:00, could be swings, snatches, or a complex like IC.
Pretty darn close.
I'll guess 1k rower repeats with 1 minute rest.
Really good guess given my history! I did something like this a few days prior though (3k warm up, 10x 1k repeats with 1:00 rest, 3k cool down).
Yeah I’m thinking some kind of intervals, looks like on the 2 minutes. Could be step ups or some kettlebells.
Pretty close also.

Usually ballistics have a steeper incline than the decline in HR, these look more stepped and symmetrical like an armor building complex or ladders every other minute.

Here's the exact session:

First ~18:00 or so was not timed; just moving through the work, but looking back it really did work out to be roughly every 2:00 or so.

1.5" Deficit Deadlifts (10 Banded Dislocations after each set)
135 x 5 x 3 sets
205 x 5
265 x 5
315 x 5
365 x 5 x 3 sets

The last ~42:00 was somewhat timed; sets about every 1:50 - 2:00 or so depending on grabbing a quick drink or toweling off as it was hot.

5x Pull-Ups, 10x Feet Elevated (3") Push-Ups on Handles, 10x Walking Lunges (per leg)
1 round with BW
20 rounds with 20lb vest

My strength work for the next 6-7 weeks or so won't necessarily be along the lines of StrongFirst stuff, rather I am doing something a bit different as my wife and I are heading on vacation and I want to see if I can change body comp a bit. The real interesting test will be to see what changes occur with relatively no changes to diet.

I was going to do a block of DDD with Deadlifts and Pull Ups but after trying a week with rowing and strength work in the same day, I've decided I would rather split my aerobic / endurance days and strength days.

I'm doing strength work 3x a week; I'll hit a deadlift to start for a few sets of 5 and then a whole bunch of accessory work in a circuit like format. Not alactic and definitely in the glycolytic realm but it will be a short block. The accessory work will be some kind of pull (mostly pull-ups and varied hand positions), some kind of push or core movement (push ups, dips, ab wheel), and some kind of leg movement (mostly walking lunges, maybe some squats or split squats).

Back
Top Bottom