all posts post new thread

Back to KB Strong

I did all 3 phases in 2022 with a pair of 24s.
That's a beastly achievement!! I've never really done phase 3 after 1 and 2. I did however use a pair of 28s and did phase 3 by itself for like the month of January 2014 or 15. It was rough towards the end! I can't imagine using 79s for it now!
Strong is a Wonderfull program. Simple and effective. However, I had to be intelligent with rest as the weights went up.
I concur. As the weights get heavier, phase two may need more rest between sets and occasionally I may drop to twice a week one week and three times the next week.

@mvikred Phase 3 was challenging but not impossible. I was ready for it when I got there.

Three things helped me successfully complete the 3 Phases:

(1) I followed GN's recommendation for choosing my bells for the program.

(2) For Phase 2, I picked the Slow and Steady Option.

(3) I trusted the process.

I posted in detail about my progress with Strong! in the original (super long) Strong! thread. (If you're interested)

Very excited today. 9 rounds of heavy day in phase 1 week 7 and I was able to recover between sets extremely quickly! I always allow a half hour for phase 1 training and including warm ups I was done in less than 23 minutes! In fact I held myself back from doing a 10th set which is slated for Monday! Feeling quite strong again in the 2 bell C+P again!

In my mind, this is Geoff's best program for sure and I've tried numerous of his!

Not quite where I want to be, but on the comeback! I'm curious as to what I'll be able to do in the rep max test next week! Then I'll pick a course of action, either another Giant run or Phase 2 of Strong.

Last edited:
Very excited today. 9 rounds of heavy day in phase 1 week 7 and I was able to recover between sets extremely quickly! I always allow a half hour for phase 1 training and including warm ups I was done in less than 23 minutes! In fact I held myself back from doing a 10th set which is slated for Monday! Feeling quite strong again in the 2 bell C+P again!

In my mind, this is Geoff's best program for sure and I've tried numerous of his!

Not quite where I want to be, but on the comeback! I'm curious as to what I'll be able to do in the rep max test next week! Then I'll pick a course of action, either another Giant run or Phase 2 of Strong.
Great work! I think I read somewhere that you enjoyed Giant 2.0 the most because it has ladders. If you haven’t Done Giant X I think you will love it because the rep schemes are ladders and change weekly.

Great work! I think I read somewhere that you enjoyed Giant 2.0 the most because it has ladders. If you haven’t Done Giant X I think you will love it because the rep schemes are ladders and change weekly.
I actually did Giant X as a guineau pig. Yes I enjoyed them. Yes, the 2.0 is what I started my "Giant Journey" with. Prior to that I was not used to going above 6 reps maximum in the clean and press. The 2.0 primed me for it.

Is the Strong program significantly different from the Giant?
It’s a long haul program. It’s awesome. I’ve done Giant 3.0 and Strong. With Strong, you just build volume over the weeks. You look ahead and think there’s no way you’ll get the reps, but you surprise yourself .Highly complimentary. Strong phase 1 and 2 took me months. I had to drop to twice a week but I got there. My 24’s felt light after that

I’m sure John has done them both a lot more than I have and will have more to say

Back
Top Bottom