all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Titan "Twistlock Pro Barbell Collars"

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
For me, in daily training, ease of getting collars on and off matters more than how tightly they hold, e.g., his test of turning the bar on end with plates on it isn't something I'm every going to subject my equipment to.
as an unknowing novice & neophyte, I have a slight paranoia about trying out the Steinborn lift without something that I'm sure will will hold the weights. i have neither the dedicated space nor funds for a rack from which to load the barbell for backsquats. I'm sure many collars might work, but as I lack experience, I feel very unsure about which to get. and the turning the barbell up on end and jumping onto the plates sings to me on that concern.

so, with an eye on the Steinborn lift, I may get the rogue collars after all. but I'm not sure, really.

Last edited:
@Hrungnir, I watched him say, "Coop" a few times then didn't continue - I don't need to hear one person's opinion of another person's opinion, particularly when it seems like it's going to be insulting. Maybe it's an approach that's good for getting views but it's not something I'll watch if it starts like that.

@Adachi, I haven't tried competition 2.5 kg collars, but I own them and will see how they do. I did Steinborn -> Inman training a few years ago and honestly don't recall which collars I used, but I think they were this kind (although not exactly this)

and they worked fine. After all, with a Steinborn lift, you only hoist the bar onto your back once then you squat and put it down again, so if you're practicing the whole for reps, there's opportunity to retighten the collars pretty often. NB: I used bumper plates because sometimes I'd do Steinborn up, SQ, Steinborn down, but other times I'd Steinborn up then go for a walk, and at the end of the walk all I wanted to do was bounce the bar off my back.

-S-

It’s odd to me that you would come to such an assumption off of so little, seems counter to what you’re attempting to champion.

Not what the video is.
I am not attempting to champion anything; I do not like hearing someone's name being ridiculed, and my time is precious so I will pass on this video. Thank you for your concern.

-S-

Gym Crafter hits the nail on the head better than I could. Idk if you have tried Glucks reviews, but he is my go to now.

I like Gluck's reviews. I haven't paid attention to all the internet stuff and whatnot that GC is talking about, but that was an interesting video to say the least.

Gym Crafter hits the nail on the head better than I could. Idk if you have tried Glucks reviews, but he is my go to now.

I don't necessarily disagree w. a lot of what he says but the video (obviously made to get views and subscribers) with the zoom-ins and "I was sooo hurt, boo-hoo" feel is a d**k move. If you know Coop (and he claims he does), then just send the guy an email.

I don't necessarily disagree w. a lot of what he says but the video (obviously made to get views and subscribers) with the zoom-ins and "I was sooo hurt, boo-hoo" feel is a d**k move. If you know Coop (and he claims he does), then just send the guy an email.

I don’t disagree with you, it went a bit far in the “hurt” direction but I think that’s almost necessary as otherwise people would be claiming hostility. You aren’t allowed to have measured takes anymore. There is definitely clout chasing occurring here, but you also won’t see vendors or others speaking out against GGR because they still require the platform themselves.

My point was more so with what he laid out as far as the GGR company since it was purchased by Pillar 4. They have gone from a legitimate review company to used car salesman, where they have shown they will sell shoddy products (nuobell, x3, bowflex kettlebell come to mind) if the commission is there. Hell, he pushed a bench where he complained about IP and how terrible it was they were ripping off Rep, then included an affiliate link and the bench sold out. If you truly felt as strongly as he claimed about it being a terrible product, you wouldn’t speak kindly about it at all, use your massive platform to get it exposure and then make commission on it.

What makes this weird is it feels like you are attacking the individual rather than a corporation. If someone rants about how terrible yelp is with their paid review placements, review scores that are adjusted on a pay to play basis, etc you’re going after a nameless entity that everyone sort of agrees is just in it for the money. Making similar complaints about pillar 4 just becomes a personal attack on Coop rather than the actual corporate entity.

If you truly felt as strongly as he claimed about it being a terrible product, you wouldn’t speak kindly about it at all, use your massive platform to get it exposure and then make commission on it.
Absolutely. It's BS. It is the definition of "selling out".

And conversely, giving bad reviews to good (but inexpensive) products is something I can't get around w. GGR. I was a little annoyed when I saw Coop doing his absolute best to destroy an inexpensive (the CHEAPEST on Amazon at the time) power rack, inadvertently showing how most serious powerlifters wouldn't even come close to testing its limits with regular use, and what an amazing value the rack was...
What makes this weird is it feels like you are attacking the individual rather than a corporation. If someone rants about how terrible yelp is with their paid review placements, review scores that are adjusted on a pay to play basis, etc you’re going after a nameless entity that everyone sort of agrees is just in it for the money. Making similar complaints about pillar 4 just becomes a personal attack on Coop rather than the actual corporate entity.
You're right, of course but I don't feel bad about this point necessarily. He (Coop) IS a public figure of sorts (and a well paid one) and public figures have to endure a somewhat higher level of crap from the public. The, like you said, "clout chasing", feigned concern and hurt feelings, etc. is (at least to me) the biggest irritant about the "open letter".

Aaaaaaaaand, to get back to the ACTUAL TOPIC OF THE THREAD:

I just got home and these (collars) were on my doorstep. I put them on the barbell and they will absolutely do a great job of holding weights securely on the barbell. They look fantastic. The magnets in them allow you to slap them on the side of the power rack when not on the barbell and that's convenient.

There is one significant minus - they do NOT slide on and off the barbell sleeve easily and being a pain in the a** to put on and take off is a pet peeve...

I'll wait to give a final eval until after I've actually used them.

Aaaaaaaaand, to get back to the ACTUAL TOPIC OF THE THREAD:

I just got home and these (collars) were on my doorstep. I put them on the barbell and they will absolutely do a great job of holding weights securely on the barbell. They look fantastic. The magnets in them allow you to slap them on the side of the power rack when not on the barbell and that's convenient.

There is one significant minus - they do NOT slide on and off the barbell sleeve easily and being a pain in the a** to put on and take off is a pet peeve...

I'll wait to give a final eval until after I've actually used them.
See I like my Rogue aluminums but that lever is STIFF and my biggest annoyance. But having to finagle a collar on (years of that in a gym!) doesn't sound like a great alternative either... Looking forward to what you decide after a while and whether or not I need to spend the money. ;)

See I like my Rogue aluminums but that lever is STIFF and my biggest annoyance. But having to finagle a collar on (years of that in a gym!) doesn't sound like a great alternative either... Looking forward to what you decide after a while and whether or not I need to spend the money. ;)
Well, one workout of significance in the books and I love them! The rubber(?) lining on the inside of the collar probably needed to get a little dirty to smooth out - not to be all Gluck reviews with his double entendres but yeah, it's glides on and off the sleeves smoothly after some time on task.

AND (contrary to what Coop said in his review), you can indeed use them one handed if you have some big plates on the sleeves and the spin on your barbell isn't excessive. If you put on/remove one handed however, with small plates (10lb or less), you might pull weights off w. the collars if you're not careful (because of the magnets).

Last edited:
Used these for 5 years in our little commercial hard-core gym here in Boulder (oxymoron I know) and they were great. A repurposed 1980s "slap wrap" essentially. The long haired in all the genders even used them as emergency hair ties. If you are worried about a steinborn slipping, just double up. Amazon.com
I always figured those would work as well as most - easy to use and effective!

Back
Top Bottom