all posts post new thread

Hypertrophy The rise of the (Hack Squat) machines

I was - and remain - persuaded fairly convincingly by this Lyle McDonald article

No point me expanding on these points as he puts them across better than I could. Worth a read
Just read the article. Most of his arguments make a lot of sense. Especially the bit about how pretty much anyone who puts a serious effort into squatting is putting a serious effort into the rest of their training, so of course everything will grow.

I find it weird though that he writes off the hormonal response (which he concedes is real and measurable) by showing that it is tiny compared to steroid use. Does this demonstrate that it is an irrelevant boost for a steroid user? Yes.
Does it show that it is irrelevant for the rest of us? Not so much.

Just read the article. Most of his arguments make a lot of sense. Especially the bit about how pretty much anyone who puts a serious effort into squatting is putting a serious effort into the rest of their training, so of course everything will grow.

I find it weird though that he writes off the hormonal response (which he concedes is real and measurable) by showing that it is tiny compared to steroid use. Does this demonstrate that it is an irrelevant boost for a steroid user? Yes.
Does it show that it is irrelevant for the rest of us? Not so much.
The comparison figures with hrt though are really very very small. I think the honest answer is that we don’t know the impact. If the numbers have a proportional effect then it’s a marginal gain…. However that phrase was made popular by Team Sky, who realised that lots of small gains made big wins so read into that what you will

Hack Squat Quad Development

Hack Squats primarily emphasize Quad Development.

Developing Quads with Squats

To develop maximize Quads with Squats...

1) High Bar Back Squats

This place greater loading on the Quads; more so than Low Bar Powerlifting type Squats.

2) High Heel Back Squats

This shift the loading ever more so to the Quads.

3) Front Squats

Quad OverLoad occur with these Front Squats.

4) Safety Bar Squats

This elicits Quad development in a somewhat similar way to Front Squats; the workload is shifted forward, placing greater stress on the Quads.

5) Sissy Squats

This Squat place and enormous amount of work on the Quads.

Sissy Squats, along with Seated Leg Extension, are two of the most effective movement that develop the Rectus Femoris.

Shear Force

A lot of Shear Force is place on the knees with Hack Squats, Sissy Squats and Leg Extensions; which might be an issue for some.

Higher Repetitions

Hypertrophy Training of 20 Repetition plus per set for Bodybuilding have been utilized for decades.

Tom Platz was a huge advocate of Mega High Repetitions.

Platz 23 Reps with 525 lbs (aka Quadzilla)

Super Squats

View attachment 24801

This method involves working up to one 20 Repetition Squat Set along with a high calorie diet for gaining weight.

The training objective is to perform one 20 Repetition Set of Squats with 150% of your Body Weight.

Back in the 1960's, John McCallum referred to it as "Breathing Squats".

Performing Super Squat/Breathing Squats continues to be very effective for gaining Muscle Mass and Body Weight, in conjunction with Diet.

Mega Repetition

To reiterate, Bodybuilders have used this method for decades and still use it today because it works.

Let's examine its similarity to...

Occlusion Training

This means slight wrapping an arm or leg with a tourniquet; on a scale of 1-10, discomfort should be around 6-7 to be effective.

Blood is pumped to the working muscles (Arterial Blood Flow). However, the tourniquet restricts blood from being pumped back to the heart (Venous Blood Flow).

Research shows (Dr. Jeremy Loenneke) that Occlusion Load of around 30-50% of 1 Repetition Max, performed for 30 Repetition Sets optimized Muscle Hypertrophy.

This produces a Mega Pump. The Pump has been show to produce a downstream effect that triggers Muscle Growth.

Ironically, Bodybuilder unknowingly elicit a similar Hypertrophy Effect with Mega High Repetition Sets.

The Traditional Bodybuilding Pump

When a muscle contracts it limits Venous Blood Flow back to the heart.

Blood is then trapped in the Muscles Trained, ballooning them up, producing The Pump.

The longer the Muscles are Contracted in an Exercise with Higher Repetitions, the more blood is pumped to the Muscles, the greater The Pump; more blood is trapped in the Muscles.

Short Rest Periods between Hypertrophy Sets of 30-60 second, limit the amount of Venous Blood Flow Back to the heart.

In other words, Shorter Rest Periods between sets ensure less blood flows back to the heart, enabling a lifter to maintain The Pump.

The next two set or more, continue to magnify The Pump.

Are you aware of any research that shows the pump is another manifestation of stretch mediated hypertrophy?

I gather it would be tough to isolate this, as you'd need to be repeatedly contracting the muscle under load to trigger this condition.

Just something I've speculated - if stretching the muscle end to end triggers hypertrophy (macro effect), why wouldn't stretching it from internal pressure (micro effect)?

Are you aware of any research that shows the pump is another manifestation of stretch mediated hypertrophy?

I gather it would be tough to isolate this, as you'd need to be repeatedly contracting the muscle under load to trigger this condition.

Just something I've speculated - if stretching the muscle end to end triggers hypertrophy (macro effect), why wouldn't stretching it from internal pressure (micro effect)?
Somewhere I read that the "internal pressure" you mentioned could be seen in blood flow restriction, whether from bands, isometric exercise, or occlusion that occurs at the end of a long demanding set of dynamic reps. Is this a Mandela Effect or has someone else seen a similar article?

No

However, combining Long Length Partials for High Repetition performed with bounce out of the hole might contribute to Hypertrophy.
I'm starting to incorporate oscillatory reps, but with rep counts of between 8 and 12.

Each rep is a W shape with a lower peak in the center. Down, explode up about 1/4 - 1/3, rapid relax to freefall and exert to full extension.

So 8 reps involves 16 "efforts".

Back
Top Bottom