all posts post new thread

Iron cardio vs the giant

Bradley Duggan

Level 3 Valued Member
Is there much diffrence in results from using Iron cardio or the giant. I know the giant doesn't contain squats. But in the long run would you get stronger using either programme. Would just like an opinion.

I've done the Giant 3.0 before with double kb's and really enjoyed it. I would say the only way to know is to do both to sample it. Maybe do something like Iron Cardio for 2 weeks and follow it with the Giant for 2 weeks. If I remember correctly the Giant is only a 4 week program but you are going to get a slightly different training effect from front squats vs double kb cleans. And of course that just all depends on what other lifting you are doing. The last time I did Giant 3.0, I paired it with deadlifting.

Whats the major difference apart from the squatting?
I mean that’s a huge difference.

You’re also looking at a lot more hypertrophy potential with Giant as the reps are 4-9 for 3 of the 4 programs. I would also say you can run giant singles back to back sets getting you a TON of conditioning (8+8 reps clean and press).

I think you’ll see less hypertrophy on IC, but you’ll be working with heavier weights more often, and it’s amazingly flexible with what you can do with it, so the main thing you end up missing are higher rep sets of presses for size.

With IC tho you are also looking at all the potential options for squatting, pressing, snatching, pull-ups, and almost any other exercise you can think, as well as easily being able to integrate other things like swings, humane burpees, armor building complexes etc as you alternate days. Which could also include doing a day of higher rep presses.

IC is limited by what YOU can do, and how creative YOU are. Giant is a simple “do this” program.

I mean that’s a huge difference.

You’re also looking at a lot more hypertrophy potential with Giant as the reps are 4-9 for 3 of the 4 programs. I would also say you can run giant singles back to back sets getting you a TON of conditioning (8+8 reps clean and press).

I think you’ll see less hypertrophy on IC, but you’ll be working with heavier weights more often, and it’s amazingly flexible with what you can do with it, so the main thing you end up missing are higher rep sets of presses for size.

With IC tho you are also looking at all the potential options for squatting, pressing, snatching, pull-ups, and almost any other exercise you can think, as well as easily being able to integrate other things like swings, humane burpees, armor building complexes etc as you alternate days. Which could also include doing a day of higher rep presses.

IC is limited by what YOU can do, and how creative YOU are. Giant is a simple “do this” program.
Thanks for the explanation, I've ran both. Would the giant be the one to pick for putting on size and looking good naked sort of thing whilst also getting press strength up. I appreciate the time you've taking to reply

Thanks for the explanation, I've ran both. Would the giant be the one to pick for putting on size and looking good naked sort of thing whilst also getting press strength up. I appreciate the time you've taking to reply
I would say so, unless you want to mix IC days with other more hypertrophy focused days.

As for looking good I think that’s more diet.

IC - More sustainable long term for most people, strength focused, great for longevity, highly ‘repeatable’ a la Dan John, less daunting (with all the waving of time/reps/loads and freewheeling nature of it), nice mix of different movements (3-5 if you use pull ups and snatches).

Giant- More hypertrophy focused (especially with double), more conditioning (especially with singles I have found as John mentioned and I agree with), simpler with only 1 compound lift, more daunting especially as you enter those second and third cycles if you run the full 12 weeks/16 with 2.0 in there somewhere.

I’ve flirted with the idea of mixing the 2 before. Either by doing 2 week blocks of both, or doing them in an ABABAB fashion.

I think you’ll feel better daily running IC.

I think you’ll look better at the end of the Giant BUT sometimes getting to the end healthy is harder than you thought… especially if you’re really pushing the RPE consistently which many people including me do as a habit.

Thanks for the replies, I have ran both, both are solid great programmes I'll always have in my tool box I always lean into the minimalistic training approach. I have been thinking about doing the giant 3.0.
And alternative days double front squat for the same time and rep scheme.

Mon. Clean n press 24s 2s 20 mins
Tue. Squats 24s 2s 20mins
Wed. Rest
Thu. Clean n press 24s 3s 20 mins
Fri. squats 24s 3s 20mins

And so on.

You might think why not just do IC. My reasoning behind it, laser focus on one movement, and decent volume to build a bit of muscle. Very minimalistic .

I know people hate when people f*** around with programmes

Thoughts?

Thanks for the replies, I have ran both, both are solid great programmes I'll always have in my tool box I always lean into the minimalistic training approach. I have been thinking about doing the giant 3.0.
And alternative days double front squat for the same time and rep scheme.

Mon. Clean n press 24s 2s 20 mins
Tue. Squats 24s 2s 20mins
Wed. Rest
Thu. Clean n press 24s 3s 20 mins
Fri. squats 24s 3s 20mins

And so on.

You might think why not just do IC. My reasoning behind it, laser focus on one movement, and decent volume to build a bit of muscle. Very minimalistic .

I know people hate when people f*** around with programmes

Thoughts?
I think that looks a lot like Bryce Lane’s 50/20. It works really well. I would suggest instead of picking a number (2s, 3s), either work in the 1/3-2/3 RM range or go by how it feels that day, and don’t be afraid of ladders so you can hit some top sets but not get too fatigued. I also wouldn’t tie the squats and presses together, and let them grow naturally based on how progress goes.

For instance, earlier this week one day I did barbell presses for 2-3-5s for 20 min, then another day for squats I did 3-5-7 cause it was moving well.

With 50/20, the goal is 50 reps in 20 min before moving up in weight, but for kettlebells you may need more like 60-70 because of the bigger jumps.

I think that looks a lot like Bryce Lane’s 50/20. It works really well. I would suggest instead of picking a number (2s, 3s), either work in the 1/3-2/3 RM range or go by how it feels that day, and don’t be afraid of ladders so you can hit some top sets but not get too fatigued. I also wouldn’t tie the squats and presses together, and let them grow naturally based on how progress goes.

For instance, earlier this week one day I did barbell presses for 2-3-5s for 20 min, then another day for squats I did 3-5-7 cause it was moving well.

With 50/20, the goal is 50 reps in 20 min before moving up in weight, but for kettlebells you may need more like 60-70 because of the bigger jumps.
Sounds solid thanks John.

Back
Top Bottom