all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Audrey Burgio - 125 reps in 6 min!

I think Pavel's article, which dates to shortly after StrongFirst was created, hits the nail on the head - the meaning is clear, nothing religious about it, and no dragons have reared their heads in response. :)

Ubi fumus est, illic speramus barbeque. :)

-S-
I meant ecumenical in the more secular usage as a mixture of elements or styles...and I was also referring to the pre SF days, not wishing to see those conflagrations recapitulated here.

Of course form matters. Do sprinters train and run differently than marathoners? Do track cyclists train and ride differently than gran tour riders? Without going down a whole rabbit hole here, endurance athletes do speed work and sprinters do some conditioning work.
In these differences, I tend to think of "programming" (what they do to train) more than "technique" (how they do the movements), but of course there are aspects to both that matter. And both are matched to the end objective. Which brings us back to the beacon or what the method is ultimately aimed at -- optimized performance in the sport, or something "beyond that", "a greater purpose", i.e. something "other" than that?

In these differences, I tend to think of "programming" (what they do to train) more than "technique" (how they do the movements), but of course there are aspects to both that matter. And both are matched to the end objective. Which brings us back to the beacon or what the method is ultimately aimed at -- optimized performance in the sport, or something "beyond that", "a greater purpose", i.e. something "other" than that?
It is both, I would say there are better and worse ways of HOW to handle a bell: grip, swing amplitude, timing, breathing and effort depending on WHAT you want to accomplish. Do what works. If I am training for a long multi day bike tour (nudge nudge wink wink) I am not going make 1k sprints (what ) the basis of my training on a saddle forward aero time trial machine (how). I am going to do way more long rides (what) on a touring bike, with a relaxed geometry requiring a completely different posture and pedaling position than an aero machine would. (how)

It is both, I would say there are better and worse ways of HOW to handle a bell: grip, swing amplitude, timing, breathing and effort depending on WHAT you want to accomplish. Do what works. If I am training for a long multi day bike tour (nudge nudge wink wink) I am not going make 1k sprints (what ) the basis of my training on a saddle forward aero time trial machine (how). I am going to do way more long rides (what) on a touring bike, with a relaxed geometry requiring a completely different posture and pedaling position than an aero machine would. (how)
Yep... A good example! :)

Conjecture here, but amongst some of the old school Eastern European weightlifting coaches, throwing the head back (an adult male head goes about + - 5kg on average) they thought, would added some extra reactive vertical impetus to the bar.

that would make sense. i've seen rudnov do that with bells. fischer with bar.

this has been a good thread. also a nice complement to watching the women's 59 at phuket, that group featured an especially impressive range of form.

that would make sense. i've seen rudnov do that with bells. fischer with bar.

this has been a good thread. also a nice complement to watching the women's 59 at phuket, that group featured an especially impressive range of form.
Yeah that was a great group...looking forward to see if Olivia R can hold it together in Paris..a great shot at first US women's gold since Tara Nott Cunningham in 2000.

Reactions: klk
Back
Top Bottom